SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Hope You Recover Soon, Digger Dave!

lesdvs9
15 years ago

Hey Digger, Carla told me about your accident. I hope your legs heal fast, that's got to have hurt is a massive understatement! You must have a Guardian Angel looking over your shoulder, you could have easily been killed. I saw what Deb wrote at GB.

I'm so sorry and I hope they gave you a lot of pain killers! We're out here when you get to feeling better and get bored and want to kill us with your gorgeous roses.

You're in mine and DH's thoughts and prayers with extra strength to Deb:)

{{gwi:320191}}
Leslie

Comments (71)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Digger and Deb, I am so glad that Digger's legs are going to be okay. I was so sorry to read of the accident, so glad to hear you're going to be okay and hope that good things come as a result of all of this.

• cactusjoe1
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear of the mishap, Dave.

I am thinking - he had his legs crushed, almost lost them, he is hobbling around in pain - but his passion for his roses is untouched. Dave is my kind of hero!

I do think cell phones should be banned when operating dangerous equipment. A few weeks ago, I spotted a forklift operator talking on the cell phone while trying to retrieve a pallet from the second tier shelf in a big box store. I regret not having blown the whistle on him to his supervisor.

I do think you have been lucky. So, here is to you, a pic of the new floribunda, Lucky.

Speedy recovery!

{{gwi:320200}}

• Related Discussions

Hey Digger - What do you think of Summer Sunshine?

Q

Comments (16)
    My pleasure Mike :) Everyone else that sees SS in the yard likes the rascal. I try to mention that if I comment about a rose I'm not very fond of. Stan has or had SS too. I was wondering if he would read this and reply. Kate, hideous may be a little carried away, LOL. I liked other roses... in someone else's yard. You should have seen me when Deb had Rio Samba and Blue Girl waiting to be planted here. Deb couldn't stop laughing at me when I saw them. All she had to do was bat those baby blues. Don't tell anyone but my favorite 10 HTs now includes Lucy, Double Delight, Rio Samba, Granada, Sterling Silver and Brigadoon. Secret is going to be on the list soon. That is great Judith! Hope she does as well or better for you, seriously :) ceterum, LOL, no apologies for keeping Lucy in the public eye. Been hoping she would be available to others for 9 years now :) Don't want to think of all the emails I sent to J&P over that time.
    ...See More

Questions for Digger (n Deb)

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you cherrykist and irish rose grower :) One thing to remember is that Deb and I spend 10 to 20 hours each working in the yard every week during the growing season. It is a lot of work though we consider it play. Deb has had to carry most of the load the last few weeks. I've been working from before sunup until sundown the last 3 weeks. She took some pics yesterday after she pulled frost damaged petals off the roses (4 five gallon buckets - that is a lot of petals). The alyssum stands out more with all those rose blooms gone. I usually don't post photos of the drive because of the shack next door but it looks like the owner is going to agree to my offer and I'll be tearing it down soon. The thing doesn't look as bad to me knowing it will be gone soon :) Only bad thing is I have to figure out how to convince Deb we don't have room for more roses *sigh*. Deb's Delight is what I named one of our volunteer clematis seedlings and I think it is a great name :) I'll have to check Hortico and HMF. I have never seen the rose. I don't have time to answer much now. We do have pics of the yard before. Deb's grandparents built it in 1948. I'll have to scan them and that will be a while. Deb took pics of me on a backhoe (1993) when we moved in. I took out a foot to 2 feet of soil here and brought in the best topsoil I had found on jobsites. Those have to be scanned too. I have been meaning to for several years, lol. I started growing roses in 1961 at the age of 9. Dad bought Mom a Crimson Glory and a Mirandy when we came back to the states. (Air Force brat) It became one of my chores to take care of them. Memom and Aunt Ann had me hooked on roses before that. Deb is a longtime gardener but she didn't grow roses until she met me in 85. She is one of 'those' people that can shove 5 popsicle sticks in the ground and 4 will take root. Deb is my garden sorceress. Naturally... she claims I am the garden magician. The only plan I had was to have a couple dozen roses in the yard. 9 were here already. Then it was no more than 50, then absolutely no more than 75.... Deb is as stubborn as she is beautiful. The alyssum and clematis were her idea. I didn't want them in with the roses. Can you tell how much she listens to me? We haven't bought any alyssum in 10 years. The stuff reseeds itself without any help. Deb just shakes seeds over an area where she wants more. It grows out of seams in the driveway.... where ever a seed lands. Gotta get ready for work. I'll get back here this weekend. I can tell you the 'rose elite' insist roses can't be grown as we do. I quit posting years ago about how we grow roses and protect them because of their crap. I will ignore any knowitall that replies our way of growing roses won't work :) worn out ol' digger
    ...See More

Dave ... Welcoming you back with a question

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Liketolearn, Thanks for the welcome! I have talked to more than one bank and they have each said that we must get a mortgage. They say we can not refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan. They can not explain why except to say that legally they can only do a home mortgage. So my question is why can't we refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan? Is it illegal? There's something being lost in the translation here... and I blame my loan officer counterparts for being too damn stiff to take the time to explain better ;~P Your home equity loan *IS* a 'mortgage.' Pedantically the term "mortgage" refers to a loan that has terms including a repayment schedule such that after a series of payments all of the interest and principal will have been repaid in full. Practically, the term "mortgage" is commonly used to refer to closed-end loans (where you aren't allowed to pay balance in, and then re-draw it back out again,) that are collateralized by real estate. Don't be overly confused by the terms mortgage, or home equity loan. If you are successfully qualifying for loan offers backed by your property, its effectively all the same. Cheers, Dave Donhoff Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner
    ...See More

Rose hole digger's high!!

Q

Comments (26)
    I just came in from digging about 6 holes today, and even got 3-4 in last night. I have red volcanic clay with river rocks mixed in and it can be a bear to dig in. Especially where I'm planting now, which is where the old black walnut tree used to be. My husband dug the crap outta the roots, but there's still lots in there. At least they're coming out easily now that the tree is gone! One thing about digging holes.... you gotta have a good shovel. That's one thing my husband taught me from his teen yrs working on a tree farm. You have to have a cap-rock irrigation shovel that has a sort of blunt-rounded edge and is straight up and down. Those round-point bent shovels are a lot harder to dig holes with, especially in the clay soil. They are angled too much to easily dig a nice deep hole. When I have a real tough time, my husband will come out and use the post-hole digger. Those work really well too. Anyway, getting a bunch of holes dug and roses planted in the ground is a wonderful feeling. I feel like I actually accomplished something. The previous bed that I finished up last month is looking great and all sorts of buds are showing color. Another couple of weeks and they're all gonna be blooming!!
    ...See More
  • seattlesuze
    15 years ago

Dave, it's a great relief to hear that you can hobble around while you're healing and there's not a better place in the world to hobble than your rose garden. Hang in there and get well soon. Sending many good thoughts and wishes to you and Deb.

Sue

P.S. Your garden is killer, you two! Wow one hundred times!

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thank you ever so much everyone :) Deb sends her thanks too. Sometimes I forget how many friends I have here. It does feel good to hear from you. My legs won't let me sit here and thank each of you individually but I would like to. The photos are appreciated too! (wish we had room for Lucky here)
    I won't be working for this company next year. I originally began working with them as a favor for Kevin's father. We had worked together before and make a great team. Richard, the dad, is semi retired and now I will be. Time to move on. I'm hoping the mishap will save someone else from serious injury. Funny thing, I had mentioned to him earlier in the day he was being too nonchalant working with concrete pipe.... that he was going to hurt one of the laborers if he didn't wise up. Little did I know :)
    I tried not to... blame Leslie, LOL
    {{gwi:320201}}
    Herbie is a wonderful little guy. Mauve is not my favorite color but I can't help but like the rascal.
    {{gwi:302530}}
    That is him in the upper left of the Irresistible bush pic. I like to get Herbie in the background of pics too.

Irresistible is still only 5 feet tall and wide but has filled in and has even more buds on it than it had the first flush. It should look glorious in about a week.
    {{gwi:320202}}
    I know... I'm vewy, vewy bad :)

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Hey Dave, I had to work this weekend and just saw this! I am so glad that you weren't injured more severely but it's bad enough! That guy doesn't need to be operating any kind of machinery, seriously!! Try not to overdo and take care of yourself. Tell Deb hi and that I know she has her hands full trying to get you to behave :-).

Here's a little Lucille for you.

{{gwi:320203}}

Carol

• lesmc
    15 years ago

Dave and Deb,
    I am so sorry to hear this news but grateful that you will make a complete recovery. You`all are a team and I know together, you will come back strong. Take a little time to reflect in your beautiful garden, It will bring you such peace and gratitude. Be strong and heal. Lesley

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    15 years ago

Dave,
    So sorry to hear the news; glad you are still alive. You are a fixture here and the rose forums would be dimmer without your input and presence. Take GOOD CARE of yourself and enjoy your increased time with Deb.
    Love and Peace to you both,
    Jim

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

My Goodness, Dave. I've never met you but feel I know a bit about you from reading the web here. How I would love to see your roses... your pictures always fill me with longing to touch and smell the flowers!

I ache for you and your legs...I had both knees replaced this year and think I know some of the pain of bruised flesh you are going through! Well, Dave, it does get better! I am 4 months now from my 2nd knee replacement surgery and walked a mile yesterday, though not without pain the last quarter of it. But after the bruising goes down it does get better quickly.

I recommend some deep leg massage at that point, and certainly some evaluation of the soft tissue damage as it heals. We who have roses get our PT probably a little sooner then recommended though!

Big hugs to your wife as she supports you and the rose garden through this recovery!

Noni

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Hi Digger, here's some pix of your and my favorite rose Crimson Glory. A little whiff of these will help ease your pain and speed up the healing process.

CRIMSON GLORY

{{gwi:320204}}

{{gwi:316418}}

{{gwi:301193}}

{{gwi:320205}}

{{gwi:320206}}

• margaretk
    15 years ago

Dear Dave (and Deb),
    I was on vacation all last week and yesterday for Labor Day. My home computer is in the process of being replaced, so I just saw this for the first time this morning. I don't post much anymore but couldn't let this pass without expressing my horror and sympathy at what happened to you, and letting you know my prayers and best wishes are with you. I love your roses, as you know, and think you have the most beautiful garden. I also use alyssum and clematis, but by this time of year everything is looking tired and bedraggled from the heat. You may have a shorter growing period, but your garden looks absolutely breathtaking. Congratulations on your usual job well done.

I just can't believe your accident. I'd be so tempted to sue the heck out of somebody, and I don't believe much in the American knee jerk reaction towards litigation. Friend, boss, whatever - if he was negligent and caused this, then he's liable.

I'll be thinking of you, and sending good vibes your way. Stay strong, and keep smiling.

Regards,
    Margaret

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Dave:

Wanted to chime in with my best wishes for both you and Deb. I'm sure this is a difficult time for you two. I'm glad you are okay relatively speaking. You poor thing!

To give you a little bit of company here's a picture of my one-eyed, slightly big boned kitty Bligh. I know hanging out with him always makes me feel better anyway. I hope you follow his lead and get lots of rest until you are mended.

Take good care.

Kate

{{gwi:320207}}

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone :) I'm feeling great (comparatively) this morning! Finally had a good night's sleep. Didn't wake up every 10 minutes, every time I tried to move in my sleep. I was able to get up and walk (ok, baby steps but it was walking) without spending a half hour trying to get the legs to move. First thought wasn't 'where is the Advil'. I took a couple but it wasn't my first thought like it has been :) Note: Deb thinks I'm out of my cottonpick'n mind. I hate strong painkillers and will only take them at night to try and sleep. She just rolls her eyes and shakes her head when I explain that sometimes pain is good. Pain tells me not to do some things. If the pain isn't there... I may hurt myself worse. Well, it makes sense to me, LOL.

I still can't sit in this chair long enough to say hi and thank you to each of you. I do hope each of you knows what each reply means to me. I must mention the thought of knee replacement vs my little injury makes me feel even luckier :)

Have to keep this on a rose theme so nobody complains...
    {{gwi:320208}}
    Deb's #1 favorite rose is doing her proud this year... again :) That is the newer one I got her in 2005. The old one planted in 1995 defies description.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Dave,
    Take care of yourself and recover soon. Be sure to drink beer in the garden (for medicinal purposes only) to speed your recovery.

Harry

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

Dave,

Soooo glad you are recovering.

I agree about finding a new company to work for. What a terrible, *careless* mistake he made. I'd be happy to chase him out of town with a pitchfork for you...

Here are a couple of yellow things from spring:

Harison's Yellow
    {{gwi:320209}}

And some iris
    {{gwi:320210}}

And a dumb but kind of funny joke someone sent me this morning:

A husband was in big trouble after forgetting his wedding anniversary.

His wife scathingly told him, "Tomorrow there better be something in the driveway for me that goes zero to 200 in 2 seconds flat." The next morning the wife found a small package in the driveway. She opened it and found a new bathroom scale.

Funeral arrangements for the husband have been set for this Saturday.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you're feeling better and yes I caught the inferences to Herbie and Irresistible. You are very bad! You and Sue are why I wanted Irresistible and my roses are almost always white:) That group of roses is all planted in full sun so I can't do anything about the glare, sorry but you get the size at least. This pic is Ultimate Pleasure and Irresistible at 4-1/2 feet now. UP is just over and Irresistible is just starting again, sorry it's only half a bush shot of the latter.
    {{gwi:320211}}
    My pics of Herbie are more lavender than mauve because I like to make a shadow to get a pic. Same with Always A Lady. Drives someone nuts:) I know you can also out UP me, so I'm giving you a rose for the day of AAL.
    I am glad each day finds you a little better, hey to Deb:)
    {{gwi:320212}}

• daun
    15 years ago

Dave,

You are one lucky man! I agree with your wife..Take your meds! You cant heal if you are in pain!
    {{gwi:308235}}

Hearst Castle - 8/8/2008

Hope you heal up and are able to get back on your feet soon!
    Best to you,
    Daun

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

Dave, that was a close call. Hope you recover quickly. I'm not one for sitting around either, it can drive you crazy.
    What is the coral colored rose in the picture with Irresistible? It's a beauty as are all of your roses.
    Nancy

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

Dave, I can't imagine the kind of thoughts that went through your head at the time or the the pain. I wish you a safe and speedy recovery. And my thoughts go out to Deb too. I remember what it was like when my hubby had surgery on his knee....boy it seemed like it took forever to heal lol!
    {{gwi:320213}}

I am still planning and trying to get the "Digger Dave" look in my garden. I planted allysum but none grew. I'll try again next spring.

Tammy

• iowa_jade
    15 years ago

GLURK!

That was a close one. Glad you were able to walk away (kinda) from that one. Don't go back to work until the Doctor says so, you don't want to reinjure your legs for sure. You only have two of them (kinda.)

Best wishes to both of you.

Foghorn

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Just found out about your accident. So glad to hear you are recovering. At least you have your garden to enjoy while you recover. Enjoy--and take it easy.

Kate

• sandy808
    15 years ago

I only know you through your posts here, and I get busy and have times away from the garden web. I am so sorry for your accident and pray for a speedy recovery.

Your garden is absolutely breathtaking! It should prove very healing to you as you recover. I think your feelings about some pain being good, in that it prevents you from injuring yourself further, is absolutely true, especially if you are spending time outdoors. Be sure to take something to keep the edge off though.

Take care.

Sandy

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

Poor Dave....hang in there buddy...and YES...stay away from that nut case!!

Heal well,

Ronda

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! Had a couple rough days and couldn't visit. Wasn't even able to take any photos *sigh* The roses are looking fantastic.

Harry, I'll have Deb drink one :) It has been 24 years since I had a beer. I'm Deb's permanent designated driver. You knew there was a reason she put up with an ornery cuss like me.

LOL, mexicanhat :)

They look great Leslie. I don't out do anyone????

Daun, luckiest man in the world.

Nancy, that is First Edition That is a link to our FE album page. I need to upload some pics of it from this year.
    {{gwi:320214}}
    That BB pic is the only one from this year with FE in it that I have uploaded. BB and FE are always finalists in my best foliage contest.

Foghorn, now ya tell me! I didn't mention work to the doc and he didn't say I couldn't work.... Nobody in their right mind would even consider working.... I went in to show the crews what needed to be done on a job that only I knew about. Shouldn't have done it. That is the reason for past few 'rough' days. I'll never learn. I still think I am Superman. I'm surrounded by kryptonite though.

Will do Kate. Deb is going to kick my rear end if I don't take it easy.

Sandy, I can usually only visit GW on weekends during the season. The roses keep calling me outside when they are growing.

Ronda, I tore into him again the day I went in. He was making excuses for why he spaced out. Won't go into detail but I let him know, in no uncertain terms, there was NO excuse.

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

OMG Dave, I don't get here much and didn't see this in the morning when I was here... You are very lucky. Charlie had a fall from his car carrier (delivers new cars) last year. He fell from the top deck moving a Mazda off. Like you he was also very fortunate. A friend of his had the same fall a few months ago, he wasn't as lucky, his brain swelled & he's gone. My man passed out on the way down, facial & skull fractures plus he fractured the shoulder joint.

I can tell you that living off of workers comp for 2 months was the pits & suggest you stop being dumb and keep your behind home. You don't need to go back to the job site for anything, seriously. You need to stay home and do nothing.

Where's Deb? She needs to smack you around a little till you listen. lol

Please take care Dave. I'll try to get over to the other place. My computer went down after I got the link last time, still don't have my favorites. I emailed Carla for the link.

Surprised she never mentioned this to me..

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Hey Sue! Long time.... too long. Sorry to hear about Charlie. I will behave myself :) Deb will be jazzed that we heard from you when she gets home from work. LOL, Duke is happy. He can keep up with me walking now. He lets me use the ramp I built for him to get in the house too.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

DAve----I just heard about this today--Nabcy sent me an e-mail and then I found this post--

You are one of my heroes----I still talk about you to my DD ..She is going through a nasty divorce but I keep telling her there are still men like you around (--I think she has found one)

I know what it is to be in pain---still having trouble after my hip replacement a year ago---so I Know what you mean----

I agree with you about pain meds---they don't agree with me and I think the pain is telling me somrthing--Still using Advil when I need it----

It is difficult for me to sit for long periods so I understand about that also

--what a terrible accident you had----sure hope you receive some compensation .

Please tell deb I was asking about her--it must be terrible for her to see you suffer. We all know how much she loves you.

Your gardens are still beautiful---

Please get well soon

You have been missed.

Florence/zeffyrose

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

I tried to add a picture and correct all the mistakes and somehow it posted------

Sorry about that---LOL

Compassion
    {{gwi:205912}}

Florence

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

My best wishes for the speediest recovery possible. Don't let it get you too down. You can always vent to us here. They just better not complain--or else!
    Kathy

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thank you Florence and Kathy :) The legs continue to mend. Docs were worried about clots forming. Last ultrasound showed none and they are pretty sure I am homefree now. Deb and I are jazzed about it.

Florence, Deb says hi :) She hopes your daughter has found her knight in shining armor. She smacked me when I mentioned my armor is pretty tarnished, LOL. It is kind of ironic. You and others with chronic pain have been my heroes through this. If y'all can deal with it and still garden, I can certainly get through this :)

Kathy, everything is going too well to need to vent very much :)

• carla17
    15 years ago

Dave, nice to hear your progress! Talk about an extended vacation. I have some pictures I would like to share with you. I went back to the barn this week.

Carla

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thanks Carla :) Don't tell anyone but I'm working again. Can't help it. I dig my work. Deb just shakes her head. I'm running the jobs and not climbing in and out of machines. I rest the legs often. It is kind of funny. Some of the guys hate working with me. They hate it worse when I'm not there, lol. Figure that one out :)
    Cory likes working with me and is delighted I am back at work.
    {{gwi:320215}}
    He is terrible showoff. Almost as bad as I. He will ride around for minutes at a time on two wheels.
    {{gwi:320216}}
    That is the type pipe that smacked me :)
    Don't see any pics??? I waited to see some horses....

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Hiya Dave. I just saw this and wanted to say I hope you heal quickly and 100%. I can't even imagine poor Deb getting that phone call for heaven's sake.

I don't have any horses, but how 'bout a big smelly Red Eden for ya?

{{gwi:320217}}

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Hey Jackie :) Wonderful pic! I don't call Deb with news like that. I was waiting for her at home when she got off work. She takes the news much better when she can see me. She gets mad that I didn't call but that is better (to me) than her getting frantic hearing I am hurt over the phone. She worries way too much about me :)
    Can't repeat what she said when I pulled the covers off my legs to show her..... it was very colorful. I deserved that scolding.

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

LOL, her language was very colorful, not the legs.

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

LOL Dave. I bet the legs were pretty colorful as well.
    ; )

Poor Deb. I don't know how she puts up with you.
    : )

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Oh how wonderful that you are able to do a little work.

I almoat fainted when I saw the size of that pipe------

Tell Deb that my daughter Robyn seems a little better since she met Joe---We were a little concerned because she is so vulerable but I keep thinking about some of the things Dave told us and I'm hopeful that Joe is the same kind of guy.

Robyn can't believe her good luck after the way her DH treated her for 24 years. It is still a heartbreak for her----
    One day she said --- Mom is it possible there are two "Digger Daves" in this world-?---tarnished armor and all !!!

I think she has found one !!!!

Stay well-----

Florence

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

Gosh Dave...I have just now seen this post and am so sorry you were hurt!!! I can't imagine having that big old pipe sitting on my legs...the pain must have been awful.

You are surely a trooper to handle that. Are you saying that you were treated at the hospital and then went home to wait on Deb to come home to tell her?? I would have had a pure tee cow to walk into the house and see my David hurt like that!! But then, getting a call to rush to the hospital because of an accident would have sent me into a tizzy too!!! Funny....I'm Deb and married to a David too..hahahahaha

I'm really glad you are doing better now...I have always enjoyed your pictures and stories!

Stay safe!!!

Deb

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Jackie, I have no idea why or how she puts up with me :) The knees were very swollen and a bit reddish but not too colorful, at least to me. Deb said they were bruised.... I think she was just saying that so she had more to scold me for. The legs were very colorful a couple days later. My ankles and feet were swollen and black/blue that first day. They looked worse than the knees. I left my socks on when I first showed her my legs. She really ripped into me when she saw them. I thought the first scolding was bad. It was mild compared to the second one :)

Florence, I do think most men treat the women they love right. I would hate to think I am in the minority. I'm just not afraid to say how I feel about her. I am the lucky one in that Deb puts up with me. I hope Robyn and Joe find the magic Deb and I have. Life is so much fun with magic in it :)

Hey Deb, Deb and Dave even sounds nice for a pair in love. I suppose I am a little biased about that.... I've just found that it is better for Deb to be mad at me for not calling than imagining me at death's door when she gets a call. If she can see me when she gets the news her imagination doesn't run wild. For some reason she wants to keep me around. Maybe designated drivers are hard to find these days? I'm gonna pay for that when she reads this.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Hey Digger, you'll do anything for attention, jk, you know that. Ok, here are the darlings.
    This is Mabel, the one we used to own
    full name Azure De Orion Belmotto
    {{gwi:247589}}
    This is Mabel's first foal, Sierra
    {{gwi:320218}}
    Newest baby
    {{gwi:320219}}
    for fun
    {{gwi:320220}}
    Hope you're feeling good!
    Carla

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thanks Carla :) Appies are my favorites. How did you know Deb says I'm as stubborn as an ol' billy goat?
    Me??? Show off???
    {{gwi:265459}}
    How in the world did you get that idea? LOL

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

Dave I am so sorry. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics of those animals, you can hear the one goat neighing:) Reminds me of the fainting goats they did recently on tv, those were pretty funny. I bet that was really relaxing to go for a visit and see your pony again. Mabel, huh:)

Hey Digger, glad you're doing better and here's a pic of Grace Seward to keep this legal still, she's at 34"tallx34"wide, I bought her last Oct and kept her in a pot for the winter and planted her in the front rose bed in Mar this year. I really love this rose, so graceful, it was name right and I also know who for.
    {{gwi:320221}}
    {{gwi:320222}}
    I have a praying mantis waving hello from hot CA to you guys in a cooler area:) Well, actually I think she's grinning in the one pic...as long as she eats bugs I don't care. I have as many mantis' as I do grasshoppers, more, every rose has at least 1-3 or so on them, works for me:)
    {{gwi:320223}}
    {{gwi:320224}}
    Keep up with your progress of getting better, your roses look awesome!
    Les

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Thank you Pam :) The legs are better every day. Most of the swelling is gone and bruising is fading fast.

Wonderful pics Leslie! We don't have many praying mantis here. I always show Deb when I spot one and vice versa. Grace Seward is looking good. I talked Richard into sending us one in 2005 before Tiny Petals was sold. He told me it wasn't ready but I twisted his arm.... he was right. He and Carol didn't charge us for it. May have been good for an arrogant rascal like me. It had been so long since I had lost a rose..... I was beginning to think I couldn't lose one :) Sometimes I need a wakeup call to keep me from getting too full of myself, LOL.

Now I need to have some getupandgo left in the legs after work to wash foliage. It has been 3 weeks since they had a washing and powdery mildew is starting to show.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Dave----I'm happy to hear you are improving---It has been one year since my hip surgery and stress fracture----still in pain---will be getting another Epidural next Wed.----Can you guess I'm getting sick of it---but I have to remember that my father walked on crutches his whole life----HE had to crawl until he was 18 and then crank the braces to an upright position so he could then use crutches--He had a trucking business and rigged up some kind of a bar between the brake and the clutch so he could us the throttle .He was an amazing man and NEVER COMPLAINED.

Love those pictures of Praying Mantis and the first one does look like he is smiling--LOL

Some roses to keep it legal---LOL

{{gwi:277975}}

Florence

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! Just what I needed to see this morning :) Thank you Florence. Stories like yours and your father's make my injury seem trivial (and help me remember how lucky I am). Deb and friends keep saying how tough I am. It is easy to be 'brave' and uncomplaining when I can feel steady improvement. Pain woke me this morning and I began to feel sorry for myself. Realized that I would have given anything 2 weeks ago to feel as little pain as I had today. It would have been wonderful even a week ago :) I admit I am ready for the weekend and some rest. Hope your condition improves. Don't know how I would handle something like that.

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Les, your praying mantis are totally cool. You knew that but really they are amazing. The one in your pictures looks like it is directing traffic in the garden. HA! Their feet are wild. We really don't seem to have them up here in my area, not sure why. Do they prefer warmer climates?

Thanks for the awesome photos.

Kate

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, I'm so sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain. I thought things had gotten a lot better for you. I know about pain, I've lived with it since Aug 1981. It may not be like yours or Diggers, but I know all the different levels it can take. A 'good' day for me on a scale of 1-10 is an 8, a usual day is a '9'. That's a beautiful pic you posted of gorgeous roses too! That's what you get a lot of your bouquets from isn't it? I hope the epidural you get will give you some relief though for all the pain involved in that.

Digger I'm really sorry to hear you're still feeling that much pain, it's only been a couple of weeks though. It'd be bad enough to have one leg hurting and you've got both. Wayne had upper back surgery on the 29 of Aug. he's been ready for the cervical collar to come off since his last visit on the 11th of this month. Dr. is making him keep it on until he sees him next on the 1st. It takes time to heal, I imagine it'll take you several more weeks if not a month or more for you to not feel twinges even. You need to be good though and do what the dr says and not what you want to do:) I imagine Deb rides herd on you but I bet you're a bad patient and not patient, LOL*

Last evening it was cooler and I found a huge 4" grasshopper on the fence behind a climber, I scraped him off, he was moving slow enough and clubbed him to death. Him or her, I thought no more future generations off this monster, or eatting any more of my buds!! I had my scissors in my hand deadheading but I just couldn't cut him in two, he was just too big, he had to be a half inch wide also, major ick factor:)
    I have some nice blooms on Hanky Panky, evenings are finally cooling off here though days are getting back in the 90's.
    {{gwi:320225}}

Hey Kate, I could have a whole thread just on the praying mantis I have so many:) No idea if it's just the warm weather, could be, I have fewer now that the nights are getting cooler but they're still out there. I fed a couple of them budworms over the weekend. They're as much fun to feed them to as the toads, LOL* And, as much satisfaction!!

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

Dave, you're saying they didn't keep you over night in the hospital for observation? IDK, I would like to be given the option of whether to go to the ER or not. When Charlie fell they did not call me, they called his work who then gave me minimum information, then I had to figure out what hospital he was in, it was in another state. By the time I looked up the town, then called 15 numbers, it was late. I was able to speak to Charlie in the ER then the doctor who said he seemed fine, they'd give him morphine, then probably release him the next day. Charlie told me to stay home, deal with getting his tractor trailer home the next morning, then to come up. Took me 2 or 3 hours of phone calls starting at 7 am but I did it. I would have loved to go the night before but it would have been almost a 2 hour ride in the dark; I don't drive more then 45 minutes away tops because of my back.

Did Deb swat you with a rose cane when she saw you? LOL You would have deserved it you know lol

I can't believe you're back working.

It had been so long since I had lost a rose..... I was beginning to think I couldn't lose one :) Sometimes I need a wakeup call to keep me from getting too full of myself,

Same for us. With our sandy "soil" at the old house, the roses would own root, they'd be horrible for year 2 then year 3 they started getting nice, year 4 awesome. It was them own rooting that we were able to take as many roses as we did when we moved. The only way we lost some was due to them sitting in pots since fall 2006, not sure of the dead count yet, but it means I finally get to buy more roses lol

I have to rebuy red Eden, that was planted in dads garden, my "mother" didn't let me come back to take my roses/plants before she sold the house. We were going to buy it, then she got another offer without telling us.

It is easy to be 'brave' and uncomplaining when I can feel steady improvement. Pain woke me this morning and I began to feel sorry for myself. Realized that I would have given anything 2 weeks ago to feel as little pain as I had today. It would have been wonderful even a week ago :)

I don't think you ever get used to the pain. Chances are you are going to have some problems from this. You're right though, you remember how you were when 1st injured then are thankful that the pain is going away, but it's still pain and when it wakes you up is the pits.

I fought pain meds for years but gave in. They changed them back in March but once again, I'm used to them and they are only taking the edge off for an hour; as the day goes they don't even touch that.

Best advice I can give you is to speak up about the pain, then if needed get a script for something mild for days like you had. Suffering through the pain isn't going to help you any and if you are like the rest of us, you'll get grouchy.

You also have to watch because you probably injured muscle which is a large part of my problem. I have really bad muscle spasms, which are nothing like when you feel your muscle jumping around, it's a deep, deep pain that will wake you up. What I usually suggest is to google the body part, say lower leg muscles or nerve posters, you will then click on images and find this. Pick a decent one, then print it out and trace your pain with marker or pen/pencil then also write what the pain feels like. If the pain shoots from the left side of your knee to the right, mark that. Bring it with you the next time you see the doctor, they will be very impressed & it will give them a better idea of what you are going through. I've gone so far as to write down the various pain I have during the day. If you are good with a photo program, you can open the poster image in that, then draw the pain lines using the pencil tool. You can get creative with various colors for different types of pain.

Duke is happy. He can keep up with me walking now. He lets me use the ramp I built for him to get in the house too.

Glad to hear he's still around.

Tell Deb hello!

feel better and stop going to work. You should be home with your feet up still.

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Hanky Panky is looking wonderful Leslie! Deb says hi. She just rolled her eyes and nodded when she read the part about the type patient I am. Tell Wayne we said howdy :) I'm so glad I don't have to recover from surgery!

Sue, but they never mentioned keeping me overnight! LOL, they seemed very happy to send me on my way. The left leg is doing very well. The right... it is getting better.
    {{gwi:320226}}
    I'm back spending most of the day in a comfortable seat :) Getting into it takes some doing but I can build spots where I just step off the tracks on to the ground. I have to use the hand controls for the tracks so I can't do some of my showoff stunts.... oh, well.
    {{gwi:320227}}
    The roses are still looking good and the legs don't seem to hurt as bad when I am among them. Wish I could bottle that feeling :)
    {{gwi:320228}}

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

What was I thinking? Duke says hi too.
    {{gwi:320229}}
    We are quite a pair. Both of us limping around the yard. It does make it easier for Deb to keep track of us.