SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrb91849

General Outdoor Electric Question

lrb91849
15 years ago

Hello,

My Daughter and Son-in-Law recently purchased a home in the Syracuse NY area. The previous owners installed Outdoor Electric (Outlet) and Halogen Lighting that I will describe below.

What I'm looking to find out is ... are there changes that can be made to make in "Safer" and up to "Current Codes".

The outdoor circuit start at a Single Pole 20 amp Breaker in the Basement Power Panel. From there 12/2 Romex Runs from the Panel to the Outside wall; at that point the wire converts to #12 THWN (Blk-Wht-Grn) and runs inside 3/4 PVC Conduit up to the outside deck.

Up at the deck area the PVC Conduit goes in to a Single Outdoor PVC Box; this box contains a 20 amp GFCI Outlet. The Cover on this outlet box is a Standard Flat PVC Outdoor Cover. This outlet is the first appliance on the circuit.

From this outlet box there is another short PVC Conduit run into another Single Outdoor PVC Box; this box contains a Single Pole Switch that controls the outdoor lights. The cover on this box is a PVC Switch Cover, it has a RED On/Off Lever right on the face, nothing else. Since this switch is after the GFI Outlet, I would assume it is also GFI Protected.

From this switch box there is another PVC Conduit run to the three Outdoor lights.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and or comments.

Thanks,

Lou B

Comments (3)