SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmie_74

Problems with my family and my fiancee.

kimmie_74
15 years ago

I am the mother of 2 young boys, ages 12 and 8. I have been with my fiancee for one year. He recently (7 months ago) moved into the home with myself and my children. Since living here, he has been the major bread winner of the home and paid the majority of household bills. He has also been helping me with my children as far as disciplining them (ie. making sure their chores get done and with follow through on consequences of not doing them). The discipline ranges from grounding (generally no longer than a couple of days, but most of the time only for an hour or so) to making them stand in the corner, to not letting them do a planned activity with other family members This is where my family has a problem. They believe that since he is not legally married to me that he does not have the right to help with the discipline when it comes to not letting the boys spend weekends at either their aunt and uncle's home or their grandmother's home if chores or not done or if they have been disrespectful to adults. They have also stated that even when he marries me he does not have the "right" to discipline the boys because he is not their biological parent. My oldest son's father has never paid any sort of child support and just recently began any sort of relationship with him. My youngest's father is currently behind on child support, but does excersise his bi-weekly visitation with him. I am needing to find out exactly what rights my fiancee will have once we are married as far as with my children. It is my feeling that he should have a say in their activities because of taking on the role of step-father with them. We live in the state of Tennessee. I would appreciate a legal view point if available since my family has threatened legal action.

Thank you.

Comments (17)