SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drpax

Single Dads and Dating/Relationships

drpax
17 years ago

Hi,

I am new here, and I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum.

I am single father with custody of 2 kids (girl, 10 & son 8). I assumed custody recently because ex had physically abused our daughter.

After reading these posts, I was wondering what advice would you have for single dads who are considering entering relationships?

The threads in this forum do indicate the complications of single-parenting, and i can understand that. But i also know that one cannot live single forever, and that it would be healthy to have a partner.

I have been seeing a lady for the last 2 months. She has no kids. We are both in our early 40s. I made it clear from the beginning that i think it would be best if we take this very slow since I don't want to set herself and the kids up. She seemed to understand. it is a struggle. My hands are rather full: apart from a rather demanding full-time job, both kids demand my attention (homework, etc, etc). Combine it with dating, and I seem out of balance.

My girlfriend has been complaining / requesting that she wants to meet and "do stuff outside", beyond the limited times we meet when the kids are in school (ie, between 9am and 3pm). But this is often impracticable and rare: during the day, we are both at work. During the evenings, i am busy with homework, and only free after 9pm (even then it is a risk to have a "sneak" in). And that is when i have time for my own school work and research.

I don't have a reliable babysitter now, and still looking. She suggested we could use her sister as a babysitter. Nice and very kind of her, but i am not sure if it is a good idea. I would prefer a neutral babysitter for obvious reasons. As a result, I feel as if I am not meeting her needs. I feel almost handicapped, when i think of having a normal relationship with a partner.

I am thinking of letting her know that this is not working -- etc that I am stretching myself thin, and the timing may not be right for us now. And it is not fair to her. I think it would be better for us all. Because, I feel guilty for not meeting her needs -- she has lots of time on her hands, and I don't (unless i start involving her in activities with my kids - which again is too soon).

So, what do you think would be the best way to handle this?

Secondly, from the experiences and opinions on this forum, what would work better for single parents (especially father s with primary residence of their kids): would it be better to wait until the kids are older? Would it be better to go for someone else with kids or without kids?

In appreciation, DrPax

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions