SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allenmichael

Indoor low voltage wiring

allenmichael
15 years ago

I am wiring a post and beam structure for low voltage halogen track lighting. I have the transformer (500watt Juno)as well as the track ( 3 eight foot legs). I can not find any schmatics advice on wiring so here we go. Voltage drop is my main concern with wasting length on switches which can only be placed in very few spots

1. Is there a preffered method in getting the line to the transformer. Do you run the input ( 110volt ) in and then build in the switches on the 12 volt output? I am hoping the answer is to switch the transformer with 110 volt first as that would eliminate additional wire that would sap the transformers output. In this manner the transformer would only draw power when the light switch was on.

2.I am planning on running 10/2 romex or similar for the output 12 volt legs to help limit the voltage drop.The track lighting directions were horrible, however I thought I read something about the feeds to the track being in some type of clamp rather than wire nuts. Is there any problem with the solid copper conducters I'm planning on using.

3. when measuring line voltage drop, if I should be wiring the switch AFTER the transformer on the output ( 12 volt) side, I would assume the switch legs ( which are going to be long ( 16 feet across room and then back for total of 32) would count towards voltage drop correct? This may mean the transformer has to be mounted in the living space which is not that asthetically exciting to me.

4. After I run through one eight foot track, I want to then make a run of 16 feet to another eight foot trac. Again I was planning on using the 10/2 romex. My questions are again the wiring block or wire nuts.

5. Should I forget the romex and use 10 gauge in a conduit to make this easier?

Ican't believe how little you can find on indoor low voltage wiring . Any help is much appreciated

Comment (1)