SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

feeling bad

mom2emall
15 years ago

I am having a horrible day! My DH and I woke up this morning and started arguing over something stupid. At the end of it I yelled to him saying I am leaving. (I meant leaving for work and me and him both knew that) Well middle SD overheard and ran down the stairs and began screaming at her dad and crying. She said "Don't you think that maybe I want a mom? Be nice to her so she doesn't leave me too!"

Of course we both felt like crud and explained to her that adults can argue without splitting up. I also explained that by saying I was leaving I only meant to go to work and that I would always be here for her. She was so upset and said that she thought I meant that I was leaving them.

We cleared it all up and she was fine afterwards and even laughed at her mix up.

But I feel horrible that we were arguing and the kids heard. And I feel so bad that she thinks that just because we had an argument that would mean we are splitting up and she won't have a mom.

But all this has me thinking. It is like she realizes that her mom is not there for her but she thinks it is just because her dad and mom split up. So she thinks that is just what happens when parents split up? That one parent just stops being a parent?

I really want us to clear that idea up in her head, but don't exactly know how to do so without being negative about her mom. Do you think we should clear that idea up or just let it go? I don't want her thinking that when a marriage breaks up that it is normal for one parent to just stop being a parent. This is all making my head hurt!

Comments (4)