SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amybeth1969

I am just so over this girl.

amybeth1969
12 years ago

I have been married for 8 years to a man who has two daughters - currently 15 and 21 years old - from his first marriage. I cannot begin to describe the nightmare things have been with the older one from day 1. It would surely run out of room before I even got started.

My husband left his wife, of 18 years, when his kids were 10 and 4 and they had a very bitter divorce. His wife was devastated and could barely hold herself together. She was extremely depressed and really used her oldest daughter to get her through during that time. I could go on for a very long time about this, but I will shorten it to say that her mom was definitely *not* ok during this time and her daughter basically became the adult taking care of her mom.

When I first met my husband, she would call him regularly and scream at him on the phone about how he did not love his children and how could he do this to them. And let me say - they had been separated and divorced for at least 2 years at this point. And I was very, very naive when it came to all this. They lived states away and they just didn't impact my life or my relationship, so I just didn't spend much time thinking of all the possible problems. That is, until we got married...and they came to spend the summers with us.

I'm sure everyone on here has their horror stories and I don't want to type a book, but this girl, now a grown woman, has been a nightmare in my life. And it's one that just never seems to end.

She has gone out of her way to make sure I, and the whole world, knows that she detests me. I think I have decided it's her life's ambition. And to top it off, my husband is about the least confrontational person on the planet and will do just about anything to avoid all forms of conflict. This girl had so much anger and bitterness inside her that when she would come to see us, it would just spew out. My husband felt so guilty about leaving his wife and daughters that he basically let her run rampant in our home - I think in the hopes that it would repair his relationship with her. Which of course never worked.

But I will tell you, when I had my own children I became intolerant of this behavior. When my husband refused to deal with the things she was doing, I began taking in upon myself to set the boundaries. This of course was all turned around and I became this evil person who was just so mean to this girl. And I just have to say how much this burns me up, because for years I bent over backwards to try to get along with her but it only made things worse. There's nothing I could have done - she was so protective of her mother that she felt so disloyal to her if she made any comment that was cruel, unkind, or rude. How can you win against that?

Finally it got to the point, where my husband and I agreed that she just couldn't come back to our home unless she actually agreed to act respectfully while she was here. But, in the end, he could not bring himself to actually tell her this and said something like - You just can't come up here and act like this. This is something he had said many times before and it was just ignored, while she did whatever she wanted. I cannot tell you how upset I was about this and truly felt rage over it. I felt like I just couldn't go on another minute with this girl in my home. So I took her outside on the day they were leaving to return home and I told her that she was not welcome back in our home until she agreed that everyone in it was to be treated respectfully. She just stared at my at first and said - Are you saying that I can't come back? And when I said - That's exactly what I'm saying - she just let loose with how much she hated that I was in her life, what a terrible person I was, how I didn't belong here, etc. So she went home, with her sister, and a couple months past and my husband, of course, does not say one word to me about this situation. When December rolled around, he told me that he would be going to get them for Christmas. To which, I asked him about what we had agreed on as far as having his daughter come back to his home. His reply was that all of that had happened months ago and why can't I just move on, and then accused me of holding grudges.

Anyway, this was the last time I've seen her...until now. She did come to visit her dad this summer, but I went to visit my family at the same time so I would not have to be here while she was. But now she is planning on coming for Christmas, which bring me to the current situation.

Two weeks ago, our internet was acting funny and I got on my husband's computer to check my email, etc. When I clicked on Facebook, it brought this girl's FB page up and I realized that she had never logged out from when she was here this summer. At this point, I should have clicked off, but I didn't. At the very top of her page, she was having a conversation with a friend and talking all about how she's going to visit her dad and how I'm such a b*tch and she doesn't know how she'll stand being in the same house as me. There was a lot more, but that was the jist of it.

So I called my husband and just told him I was so tired of this and to call his daughter and let her know I had seen this. I just couldn't stand the thought of her coming up here and having to be nice and friendly and interested in her life. I did that for many years and all it got me was hatred in return. I'm just so tired of it.

Well she freaked out that I had invaded her privacy and read her 'personal' writings. She continues to miss the point of her continued hatred and bitterness. So she is so upset about this that she called my husband a dozen times and he - being the great conflict avoider - refused to answer his phone. So for a week he would not talk to me or her about this - but just pretended it didn't happen. Finally, when I was about to lose my mind with the stress of wondering if she was still coming up here for Christmas, I told him he just had to call and deal with this situation. He talked to his daughter for a few minutes, when his ex-wife took the phone away from her and began yelling at him about how he doesn't love his children and that it's time he made a choice between them and me. Eventually he hung up on her and she began calling and leaving messages for me - basically about how she can't believe I'm becoming between my husband and his children - especially at Christmastime - and was a evil person I am.

I could never have won in this situation. I am not a evil person and there is just nothing I could have done. I feel like I just need to say this, to defend myself in someway, even though I know at the same time I don't need to justify myself to these people. That it's ok for me to be married to my husband and that my existence alone does not preclude these children from being happy and moving on in life.

So now she has decided to still come for Christmas and I wish I could just leave. My mom is visiting right now so that makes things somewhat better, but I just feel like I'm going to have 52 ulcers by the time she leaves. The stress of this is just too much.

Thanks for all those who made it to the bottom of this. I just really needed to get it out and have no one to talk to about this.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH