SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtokai

I am so OVER the high end appliances.....

momtokai
14 years ago

Over the years, I have used many different brand high end appliances at various places and also have used so so appliances.

This is my take:

Dishwashers: most wash dishes well enough. None of the Euro DW dry as well as the American ones. But they don't burn up the plastic either. Either you adapt to the cutlery rack on the top, or you don't. The more you pay, the quieter they are. Only you know if it is worth $1000 more for that quietness (they sure are quiet when you spend enough) and the dreaded top rack....

Refridgerator: they all keep food cold. I am short. I could not even reach the top rack on Liebherr in my relative's fridge in Germany. Not a good brand for me. Subzero sure looks nice, so is the Kitchen aide built in etc, so is Liebherr. Only you know if it is worth a semester of your kids college tuition more than the standard fridg.

Gas cooktop: Viking, Wolf, Thermador etc are powerful. You also need to upgrade your pots and pans. If it does not simmer well, $20 disc will do the job. I would say this is the only one where the price you pay get you something worth while for the sauteeing and stir frying at high heat. Even so, only you know if you cook enough to make the difference. They all boil pasta sooner or later.

Ovens: They all seem to work well enough except the real real cheap ones where the temperature is not well caliberated. Even so you can always make up the difference with a $20 oven thermometer.

I have managed to put fabulous meals on our sail boat with minimal appliances and some botched meals on our high end appliances. For those of you that can cook, you can do it on anything. If you can't cook, it does not matter what you cook on!

The worst of all, you never know if you have made the right decision when you spend SO MUCH money. This is the most agonizing part. Sure they look great when they are new and shiny but what about 5 years later? Will they blow up, burn up (which some of my appliance did) fall apart and cost you many thousand dollars again?

Decision, decision, decision.....

Comments (107)