SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

What kind of dinette/dining table for British Colonial?

karyn
10 years ago

So I'm looking for input - we're looking in stores and on Craigslist at all kinds of stuff but nothing resonates with me as to syncing with British Colonial/Tropical/West Indies interior design. (and yes, I've been searching on Houzz for ideas but I'm not a billionaire)

We are installing a darkish shade of wood floor, the kitchen is all white, stainless and chocolate chip cookie dough granite.

Here in Florida they are nuts over glass top tables - I HATE glass top tables. I'm not sure about round either - maybe oval or rectangular?

Here's a pic of the previous owners stuff just to show the space - white tile is getting removed and hickory wood flooring installed - baby poo orange walls are going away too. The light fixture can be changed if needed to help with mood.

The CLOSEST I've found so far is this for $400 on Craigslist -
But it's maybe too big (54") and not exactly ideal...
{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I think you are on the right track, but for that size space I would look at chairs that are a little airier-- a back on the chairs that is more open, like these (from World Market):

I don't know if there is a WM local to you, but sets from there come up fairly often on my local CL, and are advertised as being from there. (Makes it easier to search.)

• Related Discussions

Early American (Colonial) dining room set

Q

Comments (10)
    I am curious about the white being "Craftsman". All of my friends who have true Craftsman style homes have no white to speak of, save a room or two with a white toned paint color. Those homes are mostly dark stained woods and trim. Really not much white at all. The style as you describe, reads either traditional or victorian, or perhaps cottage? When you have an opportunity, a pic of the dining set would help. Do you have any inspiration pics that you intend to replicate for the reno? olychick - I love pic #3 you posted. I have an old wood table very similar to that pictured that I have been holding onto for years. You've now given me some inspiration of what to do with that table! Thx.
    ...See More

British Colonial - Please post pic if you have this style.

Q

Comments (15)
    I love the British Colonial look. Mine started when I found a wing chair at good will...we stripped it refinished the bottom in dark wood and re-upholstered it and made a matching foot stool. Then we re-upholstered our old chair in dark brown eliminating the skirt. Made all new throw pillows, even on three of the dining room chairs (not the ones around the table) Made new drapes and we changed the look from traditional to British Colonial/traditional. I kept all my old furniture including the antiques, so you can say we did it all with fabric. These are the two chairs and the throw pillows. The only thing I bought was the lamp next to the wing chair and the one next to the rocker. The sofa we reupholstered a few years ago, all the throw pillows we made new. In the dining room all we did was make new drapes, make three new throw pillows for three of the chairs, and I bronzed the lamp shades. To sum it up you can achieve this look with some pillows and accessories. That's my opinion anyhow! :) Joann
    ...See More

Can either of these work for a British Colonial style dining room?

Q

Comments (4)
    Agreed. Top one is better. Thank you ladies! Ps Zalco- It looks like the internet uses the label "Parson's chair" pretty loosely... to be honest I had never looked it up lol, I just kind of winged it- I stand corrected! I understand your wanting to point out the distinction- that's basically how I feel whenever somebody uses the word "literally" to describe something that most definitely did not happen literally.
    ...See More

Help me recreate this British Colonial Bedroom

Q

Comments (411)
    Lush outdoor bistros captured on postcards from Monaco inspired the Carlotta arm chair. The exquisite rattan pattern is accented by rawhide lacing and shapely mahogany legs. A comfortable white cotton cushion is fit for royalty. W 22.3" / D 23" / H 31.25" / Griege https://www.houzz.com/products/carlotta-arm-chair-prvw-vr~149212936
    ...See More
  • gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I agree in that I like the table but the chairs seem very formal/heavy. You're close, though! I like the overall look.

• jb1586
    10 years ago

Karyn, I saw that same set. We have a second home in Clearwater Beach, so we've been looking at the area CL listings for furniture. I thought that the set you pictured was very nice for the price, but of course, if it's too big for the space, it won't work out.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

You could look at Ethan Allen's British Classics line. I love the Mackenzie and Dorsey chair paired with the Livingston table.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

There is nothing at WM now I think would work-- I like the idea of a round table but there isn't the right one there now. I have seen used sets that would work (discontinued).

Keep looking-- don't settle.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you all think of something in this direction? (Minus the flowery chairs - going toward cream color)

It's from Pier One, distressed, but French Country I think so maybe not right... I was just thinking maybe ivory chairs to play off of dark wood floors. But maybe the style is too incongruous.

You're right - keep looking - don't settle - we have a table that can fill the hole for now. I looked at Ethan Allen's British Classics but was floored by those prices!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by karyn on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 23:18

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Well, I think your idea can work. My DR set and floor are very similar and I need a rug to break up the look. Will you use a rug?

Also, I think as long as you pick pieces that complement each other you don't have to worry so much about the British Colonial look unless you want a true re-creation.

Do you love the Pier 1 set? What shape table do you want? Formal vs casual?

Remember, patience is usually needed on CL but often worth it, though sometimes you do just want to move on with life!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I've linked to something from Rooms to Go--it's definitely in the British Colonial style and you can get the entire set for under $1K. There is a more formal rectangular table set in that same design as well.

If you surf the Rooms to Go site, there are many tropical-inspired dining room sets. You might want to check out Abaco which is half the price of the one I linked (and the one you found on CL that wasn't even right), or the Seaside white if you want to go that direction.

Rooms to Go started in Florida and tends to have a good fix on the market down here. It's not heirloom furniture but if you want to get something for relatively cheap and they have your style, you can do ok shopping there. And FWIW they are one of those stores that feature the financing zero-credit longterm payment plans.

Here is a link that might be useful: British Colonial DR Set, Rooms to Go

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks runningplace, of course that one you linked to is glass top - ugh, but yes they do have a lot to go through and some good choices.

The reason I mentioned the Pier One set above is - I've found the table used. I might just go ahead and buy it and then work on the chairs - which I also found something similar - it will end up being 1/2 of retail costs buying used! My only concern is matching the white paint color or the table to the chairs unless I go dark on those. Espresso or even black could possibly work.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Can you link us to your CL so we can help look?

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The link is below for the chairs - the table is as shown above. My concern is that the chairs are too white but when people take photos they are rarely ever color accurate (I'm a photographer and have the ability to shoot true color to compare side by side).

I haven't committed to either chairs nor table right now so still looking around.

I can't even go see the table until this weekend anyway, and the chairs are 45 minutes away over a toll bridge too - so not easy. :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Pier One chairs - maybe not quite a match???

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I don't really see a British Colonial vibe in either the chairs or the table, but I think they'd look great together. I've linked some images of BC type chairs below.

Craigslist - I don't know what I'd do without it!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: British Colonial dining chairs

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right my3dogs - I get side tracked easily, lol. Best to stay on point. Dark wood, light beiges/tan fabric is something that's seen throughout the style. Even though it's just a breakfast nook - I'd like to connect the elements throughout the house back to the overall theme.

We've already got plenty of enough his/hers mix & un-match everywhere already without starting yet another tangent. :-/

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Oooh . . .not at all what you are looking for-- it's a Chinoiserie desk, but I love your CL!

{{!gwi}}

So, this one is not BC but it sort of gives the look with the light/dark and the airy seating. Cane has issues on at least one chair. May not be dark enough in person . . .

$95
    {{!gwi}}
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/fuo/3982153038.html

$699
    {{!gwi}}

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/fuo/4006450870.html

{{!gwi}}$450 but I'd offer less
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/fuo/3936757137.html

I know you said no glass, but:
    {{!gwi}}
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/fuo/3995316271.html
    $100

Just some ideas. Another one is to call your local consignment shops and put yourself on their wishlists.

:)

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're actually in a different Craigslist - Sarasota - the above results in Tampa do show up here, though it is an hour+ north of us. We also get lots of search results from Ft. Meyers which is 1.5 hours south as well and even Orlando (2+ hours NE into the middle of the state!)

There's tons of thrift shops and private professional resellers here competing for deals on CL as well so you have to be pretty fast to catch them. It's also a very transient place so there is a lot of action on CL though.

That said - if we wanted glass top tables - I've never seen so many - and it will probably double when the tourists arrive - 50% of the population migrates away in summer in this area. Glass has always just looked very "part time condo" furniture to me - and surprise - there are a zillion part time condo residents here. ha ha

#3 above is kind of nice, but plain, and I agree overpriced. This table from Cost Plus is a little more interesting - COOPER ROUND DINING TABLE - if we wanted to drive really far - and pay retail (or $80 shipping)! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another funky looking table - not exactly BC style but better than plain!

This post was edited by karyn on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 5:13

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

When I read your thread I thought bamboo/wicker/rattan more casual dining for a kitchen. I was sent back to a restaurant we ate lunch at in Hawaii. The tables were all squares, heavy rattan and painted. Chair frames to match with a pretty,airy, light fabric. Fan was big woven blades moving very slowly. The painted project in a different thread--that idea. I think there were glass table tops--over the woven or solid top can't remember. It was my favorite dining experience on the Islands. It was absolutely the feel of what you described. The ice tea was heavenly I would love to lunch there everyday!! If your floors are going to be dark do you really want dark wood furniture? You show a circle after saying you were not really interested in round? Good luck.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Karyn, I agree that EA prices are high and I'm not convinced of the quality but I wanted to throw it out there in case it was what you were looking for.

Honestly I see far nicer interiors from people who shop consignment shops or CL. Many certainly have a flair for knowing what will look good together and the imagination to see pieces that would look better in another color. I don't include myself in that group for sure.

I actually like glass top tables because they are so darn easy to take care of. I have a cute set that I bought from CL. It included the glass top table, 4 chairs, and a Baker's rack. I redid the chairs with a pretty fabric and I use it in our second home but I wouldn't want it in our main house.

Good luck with your project and if I come across anything I will post it! :)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Karyn, I would jump at that set for $400! Just my 2 cents but I think it's a very good representation of BC. Here's something very, very similar to the one on CL.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining furniture

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW that original CL listing is long sold - it was too big for us however as it's just a kitchen nook area we're trying to fill - the space is only about 6' x 7' total - I think a 42" round table is going to be about it for that space.

How about opinions on Ikea stuff? Is it too crappy? We don't want something that's going to LOOK CHEAP. I haven't' been there in years but saw the below listing on CL.

But then similar to what Anele posted, I also saw an all black Pier One set on CL that looks much better quality, but $550 used? :-/

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark wood table & chair set from Ikea with white cushions

This post was edited by karyn on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 22:44

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Karyn, I'm not surprised that you're having a difficult time. My home is being decorated in British colonial, also. Although CL has great furniture buys, it can be difficult to find the right style, the right price, and the right size. I looked for months trying to find the right counter stools here in Houston and finally gave up. Frontgate's Raffles counter stools met all my criteria and were a great price for the style.

Many of the nice tables pictured so far on your thread are meant for a formal diningroom. For example, it seems to me your CL find would need a glass top to protect that fine wood. This defeats the idea of practicality for daily use. A breakfast table takes a lot of abuse, even with adults only in the household. Many folks probably went with a glass top so the table could be more formal yet the glass could take the wear of daily living.

Frontgate has the Milano (indoor) table in different sizes and shapes. It has an iron base and a recycled hammered copper top. Frontgate has paired Clermont chairs with it which could work for British colonial. To me, their prices seem reasonable for the quality. This table may not work for you. If interested, see ironaccents.com and humbleabode.com as both also feature that table. Ironworks shows other types of tops for that table base and humbleabode discusses the type of wax that should be used to protect the top. Regardless, take your time, and perhaps save your money as others have urged.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 16:13

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Texas gal, I'm still looking around and trying to be patient. :-)

The closest on budget (buying new) and a unique style I really like I've found so far is maybe this COOPER ROUND DINING TABLE from Cost+WM which is 1/4-1/5th the cost of the comparable Frontgate Milano - The $80 extra surcharge +plus+ shipping really ruins it for me however and you can't find them in their stores (I don't think). My entire budget for table and chairs is really $500 tops. I should have established that from the start, but I suppose if the right thing came along we could go higher... But CL could produce something much lower cost too - you just never know.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

We'll keep looking for you. Let us know what you finally decide. You're only the second person since I've been on the forum three years who is doing a British colonial kitchen/dining area.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone - I'm going to be very busy over the next 2 weeks anyway - we closed escrow and I have contractors coming in doing stuff all over the place inside the house before we move in.

I really really appreciate the sage advice and feedback I'm getting here. I don't always stay on track buying things and on a limited budget I sometimes have a hard time "seeing" things fit together, but I'm determined to learn and work at it to try to get it right the first time around... even if it is one piece at a time. :-)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry for not using your CL! I just went by your other post.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Sorry for not using your CL! I just went by your other post."

That's OK no worries anele - I would gladly drive an hour or more to get the right thing! The CL searches I do for Sarasota usually do end up showing me everything within 200 miles of here!! Since I just moved to FL, I'm constantly looking up cities to figure out where they are! lol

• smaloney
    10 years ago

Fwiw I have the Cooper table from World Market as my kitchen table and it's held up great to daily use with two messy boys. I did find it in a store in our area (DC) but you might watch e website or signup your email- they often have free shipping specials.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So just an update - I did find the above mentioned Cooper table at a Cost+ 90 miles from here... :-/ Seriously thinking about biting the bullet and making the drive. I have a 10% off coupon good for 2 more days...

Meanwhile a Pier One all white set came up on CL - and while it would match the white from the kitchen cabinets and really contrast with the floors it's probably a bit off track IMHO...padded seats though, that's a bonus!

This post was edited by karyn on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 21:19

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK - here's the final decision - I've gone off the reservation!! :o)

I went for the table I liked and ended up getting a very pleasant surprise with these hand rubbed/antique black cane chairs I discovered by accident (last 4 they had) - which were 50% off - AND I had another 10% off coupon on top of everything! So in the end I paid $500 out the door - about what I would for a decent Craigslist set, but brand new - and no cookie cutter furniture.

It's a bit eclectic, but I like it and the metal top table should tie in well with both the stainless steel in the kitchen, and the cane chairs with tropical elements brought in from the British Colonial pieces in the family room. It will be a while before my whole project is done - but for now here's the table & chair in the store.

• karyn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is what I ended up getting - the World Market Table and Painted Cane/Bamboo Chairs on sale. I loved this set - very similar to RH style - but we moved and had no nook in the new house - so had to sell....