SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triximky

Dad's past Finances and stepchildren

triximky
15 years ago

I have been with the "Dad" for a year now. I am disabled and live off a very limited income. A long time ago we decided to move in together and combine our income. Since he pays an extremely excessive amount of child support, my disablity check is the main source of income. I am fine with that for now because in the near future this 'problem' will change and he will be the 'bread winner'.

He has two children and in the past he has had drug and alcohol problems that have created some rifts between him and his older daughter (especially). He feels very guilty about what has happened between them and has been working hard to repair the situation.

For 7 months, his 17 yr. old daughter had been living with her boyfriend (even though we offered her to move in with us) and living off her boyfriend's income. Since we've been together, every other weekend we would travel to where they lived (an hour away) and bought dinner for all of us (dinner/gas would cost around $60 total) out of my disability. We did have some heated discussions over this because I was feeling somewhat used because if we could not provide dinner one weekend due to finances - we would not visit her which left me feeling guilty.

His daughter now has a car and two jobs and still lives about an hour away with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend makes pretty good money and they both live with his father and doesn't pay any rent. She has been employed for only 3 months, but when she visits you can see she 'blows' her money on special items for herself. We also give her $10 for gas so she doesn't have to spend any of her own money to visit us. Now that she comes to our home, we are able to save some money because we can cook something for dinner instead of going out to eat. She also plans other activities around her visit which leaves us with very little time with her. The last time she came, she didn't even wait for us to finish dinner and her dad gave her all the leftovers forcing me to hurry up and to figure out if I wanted any more.

We currently live off $40 a week over the next 5 weeks due to a mess up in my social security check (I have to borrow over $400 from the government to pay for rent until I can pay them back mid-month). My husband just got mad because I really don't want to give the customary '$10' we pay her when she comes to visit her father. I feel that I should stick to my guns and not give into the pressures of my husband, but guilty as well because I have spent some money recently on his other daughter (6 yrs. old) on things she has needed. I spent 'that' money before I knew about the 'mess up'. He thinks I have begrudgently spent money on the 6 yrs. old compared to my reaction to the situation with the 17 yrs. old. I got some free tickets to a mueseum for children and he is refusing to go because he feels that the $5 I was going to spend on one of the tickets should go to the 17 yrs. old for gas. I don't really know what to do....any advice????

Comments (7)