SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandieanne_gw

I'm lost.....feeling overwelmed

sandieanne
16 years ago

I'm feeling very lost. I've been married for a month and have lived with my husband for over a year. He has a 10 year old son and a horrible ex wife. I moved to an area about two hours from where I was working to be with my husband and I have made a lot of changes. I moved to an area where I don't know anyone. I work full time. My husband commutes about an hour and a half to and from work which leave me doing a lot of the running around with his son. My husband has physical custody of his son and the mother has him every wed night and every other weekend. I take him to school every morning except Thursdays and I am usually the one to pick him up and get him to his activities. I am beginning to feel overwhelmed. My husband tries to help, but isn't always able. My job allows for a lot more flexibility. As I don't really know a lot of people outside of work, I seldom make any plans for us. We seldom have a free weekend and more rarely have a free weeknight. Most of the running around are activities for his son or with my husband's his friends. We have talked about having a child, so when I say we are doing too much now, he says that I am probably not ready to have a child. I don't feel like we need to constantly be doing things outside the home. My husband does try, but as I'm the outsider, my views are often heard but then I start the next week doing the same running around we had just talked about.

I'm also having a hard time adjusting to the changes in my holidays. I love and want to spend time with my husband, but I want him to realize that when I am not able to see my family, I feel very sad. This will be my second Christmas away from my family. Before my husband, I never missed a thanksgiving or Christmas. This year I'm missing both. I have a tradition to put up the Christmas tree on thanksgiving weekend. That is not going to happen. I feel like my traditions don't count and their traditions are the only ones. I have many feelings like this around different things. Every family I know plays monopoly according to their own rules. While playing, I was telling them some of the rules my family played by and was told that these were their rules and my husband completely dismissed me. I wasn't saying to change things. I'm just wanting to share my background.

I was so upset about losing my thanksgiving tradition and that my feelings aren't being heard that I couldn't get myself pulled together enough to go to a funeral with my husband. He lost a relative and is spending two days away from home for the visitation and funeral. I didn't feel we needed to go to both the visitation and funeral as this was not a close relative of his. I thought we could do a day trip for the funeral instead. Even my husband's mother said she was only going because she talked the family through some health trouble (his mother is a nurse). I know my husband wants to be there for his family. I ended up fighting with him over the funeral stuff, but he appeared to read between the lines that I'm feeling lost. We even talked about it before he left. He told me I didn't have to go. When he called to say he got there OK, he was obviously upset and told me I was where I wanted to be. Which is not the case. I'm feeling very selfish right now and I'm not sure how to explain this to my husband to help him understand, I'm really not sure how to describe the feelings myself. It's not that I don't want to be there, it's that... I don't know ...overwhelmed, missing my family and feeling lonely. He listens to me, but I'm not sure he always hears me. Not a good enough excuse to miss being at a funeral with my husband, but since I keep tearing up, I think it's probably the best choice.

I have probably made him sound horrible, but he isn't. He tries, but I seem to be the one always having adjustment problems. I seldom see adjustment problems with him. I know they have had to make adjustments, but I have been trying very hard to respect their past, their traditions and their ways of doing things. I don't know what to do. I don't want to feel lost and lonely...I want to find my way back.

Comments (18)