SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

First social event with BM there

ceph
16 years ago

I'm a little stressed about last Saturday and mostly just want to express myself to people who might understand.

Saturday was a friend's birthday party at a pub. I've known him for about five years and he's J__'s best friend. I knew I'd be meeting a few new people and that BM was going to be there, so I was a little nervous.

I've only met BM three times before, once was a New Year's party long before I started seeing J__, once was when J__ asked me to come pick up his son with him, and once was just in passing at a concert. When I went for pickup, she'd forgotten that she'd met me before - and that was fine, I forget people sometimes too - but I've seen her since then and know she's heard a lot about me.

On Saturday, when she introduced her friend to everyone around the table, she was very dismissive of me. She introduced everyone by name, covered all the relationships and said how they know Birthday Boy, until me. Let's pretend my name is Callie, well, she introduced me as "I don't know - Colleen, Katie, something like that" and then moved on, ignoring how I know Birthday Boy and that I'm J__'s GF.

I don't really care that she forgot my name, it's how she dealt with it that felt dismissive. I would have been ok with "This is J__'s GF; I'm sorry but I forget your name. She's also friends with Birthday Boy".

As the evening went on, she interrupted several of my conversations with other people, changing the topic to people I don't know or events I wasn't at. After the third time, I watched to see if she was doing it to other people. She didn't seem to be, but maybe I just missed it because I was feeling slighted.

She wound up down at my end of the table for awhile. I tried to engage her while she was near me - I asked a few questions about her work, what she thought of the concert we saw her at, if her BF was pumped for the big football game, etc. Each question got the shortest possible answer, followed by turning away to talk to someone else.

She also made her friend get up and go to the bathroom with her while the friend was talking to me. I felt that was very rude.

The icing was when she was leaving and I said "Have a good night! It was nice to see you again!" She replied "Whatever" and left.

It was all very discouraging and really made me feel that I didn't belong at my friend's party. J__'s brother even mentioned it in the car "Jeez, BM sure was rude to you tonight! You should have socked her one in the nose!" I just laughed, "No, I don't think that would help things very much!" and dropped it.

I talked to J__ about it once we got home. He noticed that she was being rude to me, and thanked me for not being rude back. He said that he appreciates my peacekeeping, but wants me to know that BM has no right to be unpleasant to me and he's on my side if she's like this again.

I'm just still feeling the aftermath and a little disappointment that I tried very hard to be nice to BM at a mutual friend's party and was treated poorly. I'm not that all that surprised, and I'm not angry, just a little miffed and wanted to get it off my chest.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus