SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bltglt

Problem of Small Nicks on Wire While Stripping Insulation

bltglt
13 years ago

I've stripped quite a few wires, but I've always noticed how often I end up with small scratch marks on the copper wire when I strip off the insulation. I observe them very carefully and they don't look very deep but I've always heard how you shouldn't nick the wire. I use a wire stripper with different holes for each awg. For stranded wire, I usually use the next size bigger hole and rotate it around the wire to help weaken the insulation. Then, I pull away from me and the insulation slides off. With solid wire, I usually use the exact gauge size or a size bigger. I usually apply the tool and rotate it around the wire to help weaken the insulation. I then pull off the insulation using the tool's gauge hole to slide it off. The problem is, I can clamp down on the wire using the stripper tool as lightly and carefully and gently as I want and I still end up with 2 or 3 surface scratches on the wire. Sometimes when I pull the insulation off, the wire rubs against the edges of the hole in the tool, leaving a surface scratch that goes to the tip of the wire. Anytime I have 1 strand break on stranded wire, I always cut if off and re-strip it. Sometimes, I go to strip the insulation off stranded wire and all strands stay intact yet there is a small nick on one of the strands. I've never encountered any problems yet, but most of the wiring I've done have never been pushed to the max, leaving me no way of knowing whether or not there are any problems. I saw a picture in a wiring book that showed a dangerous nick in a wire that extended about 1/4 of the way into the wire. Now, I rarely end up with a nick that deep, and if I do, I cut it off and re-strip it. On average, I would say that most of my nicks go about 1/20 (5%) of the way into the wire. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (5)