SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

yet MORE insulation questions!

15 years ago

With heating-oil prices already well over $4.50/gallon and projected only to go up this winter, we've decided that insulating the attic is going to be a big priority this early fall (working in an attic in summer is just masochistic). It is not living space so insulating via the attic floor, which is open, would be the plan. Currently there is a layer of cellulose about 3" thick - utterly useless! - which we would remove because it puts off a maddening amount of dust, which my doctor says is likely one reason why I have had a cough I cannot shake since we moved in last September. I live in NH so the recommended R-value for an attic is R-49. The tricky part is we have pretty shallow ceiling joists, only 2x8s, which at R-3 per inch of fiberglass batt would only yield R-24; there are high-density batts that could get us R-30 at 8" thick but that's still insufficient by itself. We would like to use some of the attic space (about 1/3, it's a fairly small attic, maybe 15x25) for storage, so while we could plop down a second layer of insulation in part of the attic to get up to R-48, what do we do about the section we plan to floor over for storage? If we put down two layers of the R-30 in two-thirds of the attic, going right to "overkill" level :-) could we get away with just the R-30 in the remaining third or is it sort of pointless?

Building up the joists by another 8" to accept that second layer of insulation isn't possible as we couldn't get the lumber up there. (We can get pieces of plywood up if they're cut to 2'x4'.)

Second, the floors on the first floor are viciously cold in the winter and thus should undoubtedly be insulated as well. However, those joist spaces are filled with a rat's nest of wiring (Romex, thankfully, no K&T), plumbing pipes, heating ducts, you name it - how would one get insulation around all that? Just stuff it in as best we can, tearing it up if we have to? The foundation is very irregular fieldstone and there is a weirdly loose, fluffy dirt/sand floor (and since we do not have a bulkhead digging that down to hard dirt is going to be a nightmare job we just can't tackle this year) so insulating the cellar itself doesn't really seem feasible at this point. Thankfully we have no moisture or mold problems, I had the place tested before we bought it.

For cost reasons this has to be a DIY project, we're not particularly handy but DH has helped put up fiberglass batts before.

Comments (16)