SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brooksideiris

Basic Wire Size Question

brooksideiris
15 years ago

Please help. I am trying to decode what I see in my wall and to understand it in terms of the postings I've read in this forum. My house is 85 years old, and I was told by the PO that they had "completely rewired the house" in the early 1980s. But in our attempt to relocate a wall switch, we can see that they didn't.

I appear to have 12-2 Romax used for my outlets. Why 12-2 instead of 12-3? Does this mean the Romax contains no ground wire? Are my outlets ungrounded?

A much heavier-looking cable reads "Cable Type NM" and then the printing goes bad. Possibly says "600 Volts 14 / 3" (but only the bottom half is readable, so for all I know it says "800 Volts 14 / 5"). This 14 gauge cable looks much more substantial than the 12-2; it's thick and round, rather than flat like the 12-2. But I thought 14 gauge wire was less robust than 12 gauge?

Inside a junction box, the 14 gauge wire is spliced into post and knob wiring coming down from the overhead light fixture (although I see other instances of 14 gauge wire split and stretched open, spliced onto the older wiring just below the knobs using electricians' tape). Below the junction box, the 14 gauge wire AND a length of the old p&k wire BOTH enter the switch box, which has 2 switches: a dimmer and a toggle. Why the extra piece of wire? Shouldn't the old p&k end at the junction box? The extra wire does end in the switch box--only the 14 connects to the circuit box.

On the whole, the old p&k looks ok. It's fabric is torn a little bit in places, but on the whole it looks sound. Except that I'm uneasy about the way it's been spliced into the NM. Do I have anything to be concerned about? The overhead fixture is less than 2 feet from the wall, so I don't understand why new Romax through wasn't fished through from the light--clearly the wall was opened for the rewire. That could have done away with the p&k entirely for this switch--except for that extra wire from the junction box to the switch?

I'm sorry if these questions are elementary--I just get so confused looking at it. I used to be smarter, back when I was younger... Thank you for your help.

Comments (4)