SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appletree729_gw

fencing questions - materials for basic fence?

appletree729
10 years ago

I tried searching the forums for answers to these questions but was having trouble finding information specific to what I'm looking for! Sorry if this is redundant!

I'm going to be installing a basic garden fence around our garden and need some help choosing materials please! Maybe it doesn't matter a whole lot, but what would be the best materials as far as chicken wire/hardware cloth is concerned for an organic garden? What is most likely to not leach anything into the soil, especially if I bury a portion of the fence to keep out digging pests? I definitely want to avoid the vinyl coated wire but don't know if there is reason to avoid any of the others�

Also - what fencing material do you recommend? Can some pests squeeze through chicken wire? So is it best to used something with smaller holes? We pretty much have all of the usual suspects waiting to snack on our garden - rabbits, squirrels, (are chipmunks a problem? - tons of those) raccoon, skunk, probably groundhogs too - I've seen them around the neighborhood but not in our yard (yet!)

Is 3 feet tall high enough to keep them out (minus deer) or should I make it 4 feet? I'd like to keep it low if possible so it will be camouflaged behind a hedge of rugosa rose.

Any aversions to those basic metal stakes people purchase along with the fencing? Do they do the job well enough or should I go with something more heavy-duty like thicker wood stakes?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (16)