SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natewall

Randomly Flickering Lights

natewall
17 years ago

The lights flicker on some of the circuits in my house. Not horribly bad, but noticeable. I'm concerned about the computers we have, which are on one of the circuits that fluctuates. This is even with all large loads off in the house, like the A/C and drier. A volt meter verified at least a 5 volt drop when the flickering is happening. Its random and almost as if there is a short somewhere.

An electrician buddy come over and he tightened all the screws on the breakers pannel, including the neutrals, tightened the lugs from the meter that connect to the panel bus bars, and pulled the meter and verified everything was tight on that side. On the circuits that flicker he even switched their breakers to the other 120V line to verify if the line outside the house was fluctuating. Even switched breakers. Still does it and oddly, the same circuits flickered. We both are stumped.

He said it may be an internal problem where more than one circuit is sharing a return and there is a loose connection somewhere on that return, or the main 4-breaker set might be the trouble (the breaker box is about 35 - 40 years old). He suggested opening up all the electrical boxes on the flickering circuits and making sure all connections are tight.

I had the electric company come out and they said the voltages check out coming into the house, but like I said, the flickering is random, sometimes it won't happen for a couple of hours, they may have missed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--Nate

Comments (4)