SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adam12hicks

wiring non-gfci in gfci outlet box (i know, flame suit on!)

adam12hicks
9 years ago

Hi guys, first off - no I would never replace a GFCI outlet with a non-GFCI outlet, but I *think* this should be fine, just need an opinion and a quick how-to.

I have home automation switches which fit in a single gang outlet box, and use only the black and white wires to connect to the home. They do not require a ground, and do not control a load themselves. They have pushbuttons on the front, with illuminated buttons, which send signals through the neutral line to other devices instructing those lights to turn on, off, etc.

SO - I have a need to be able to conveniently control the kitchen lighting (all part of the system via controlled load switches already installed) from the kitchen counter, without needing to walk a good ways around to the light switches. This could be easily performed by installing one of these controllers - so I want to install one in a power outlet, since I have plenty and can sacrifice one easily.

My question is this - since I have 2 hot / 2 neutral / 1 ground, but only need 1 hot / 1 neutral to run this electrical controller, how (or should) I wire it in to keep the rest of the system functional throughout the circuit? If I simply connect 1xwhite and 1xblack (as I would if I were placing this in a non-GFCI outlet without issue) it doesn't work.

I hope this made sense? I appreciate anyone's input that could shed some light so I don't do anything stupid ;-)

A picture of the device is here: http://www.homeauto.com/Products/hlc/HouseControllers.asp - again, note that this will not control any load or be susceptible to a water short / etc.

I appreciate any advice on whether or not this can / should be attempted!

Thanks!
Adam
Fort Worth, TX

Comments (11)