SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imjayhawk

Replaced 3-way switch, now it works only in one position

imjayhawk
13 years ago

This morning, I replaced two 3-way switches that control a hallway ceiling light, and now it works on only one position. Both switches had one black wire connected to the common and then red and white connected to the travelers. When I replaced, I didn't care much about the travelers as I read in several DIY sites that it didn't matter. Unfortunately that doesn't look like the case. Now the switch works only when one of the switches is on the OFF position, but not when its on ON position. After consulting some wiring diagrams, I can't make sense of the way this circuit is wired nor why it is not working. One three way switch is by itself and the other is in a 4 gang box.

I'm calling the 3-way switch at the 4 gang box Switch1. Its wired with NM14-2 and NM14-3 wires. The Red and White from NM14-3 wire is connected to the 'travelers' and the black is connected to the hot wire for all other switches in the box. The NM14-2 cable's black is connected to the 'common' of the switch, and the white wire is connected to the neutral to complete the circuit for all switches in the box(I think!). Switch2 is by itself and has a NM14-3 whose black is connected to its Common and the red and white to its travelers. I have not looked at how the light is wired.

Here are my testing results (continuity tested using a multi-meter):

SW1
SW2
Continuity@SW1
Continuity@SW2
Light

On
Off
Redwire Whitewire
Off

Off
Off
Whitewire Whitewire
On

Off
On
Both Redwire
Off

On
Off
Both Redwire
Off

If you understand this circuit, can you help me fix this? I'd really appreciate.

Comments (19)