SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

adhd / auditory processing disorder? (not sfam related)

ceph
15 years ago

I know there's at least one person who has a BK or SK with an Auditory Processing Disorder and plenty with ADHD or other disorders.

Can you help me at all with A__?

Recall that A__ is 9 and has very bad ADHD, but no other diagnosed comorbidities. (IMO, he may have a mild ODD, but as his decision-making and anger-management toolkits grow, he's showing fewer ODD behaviors)

In some reading on helping ADHD kids listen, I realized that many of A__'s listening troubles go beyond normal ADHD levels...

Now, I realize that I may be problematizing fairly normal 9yo behaviors, but A__ gets pushed under the rug so often. I'd prefer to over-tend to his troubles (without him even knowing it) than think "Oh, he'll grow out of it" when it's a real problem for him.

Some of the examples of things that he does that seem more than just ADHD or being a 9yo boy are at the bottom of the post... Can you BMs and SMs of kids with behavioral disorder look at them and tell me if it just sounds like ADHD/ being a normal 9yo, or a Processing Disorder of some kind? And/or give some ideas on coping mechanisms to help?

I have no idea how to help him, but it is important that anything we try will not to make him feel "broken" or make what we are striving for feel like "work" to him.

I'm feeling a little worn out right now, because we've come a loooooooong way in his ADHD management and I'm so incredibly proud of him, but now I'm starting to notice things that aren't improving along with his ADHD behaviors or his new maturity level.

I feel like no matter how hard we/A__ work, new troubles will just keep coming along that make life harder for him than other kids. I'm a little teary about how hard he tries and that he WANTS so badly to be like everyone else and "be able to be good" (his wording from a recent meltdown)...

Advice? Ideas? How do we help A__ with this without him feeling like he is "broken"?

------Examples-----

He often doesn't know where a sound is coming from (I had put this to that he had ear infections as a kid and has tubes, but then I found out tubes shouldn't do that)

He often doesn't realize someone is speaking - he says he just hears a sound, but doesn't realize it's talking. I had thought he was just hyper-focused on something else, but he's getting WAY better about hyper-focus and it's still happening.

He forgets the meaning of everyday words frequently. Poor little guy cried the other day because he was so frustrated that he couldn't remember the word "armpit" :(

His speech therapy is going very well, but our big struggle is that he doesn't hear the difference between phonemes.

He babbles a lot, much like how a baby or toddler babbles. Random, meaningless phonemes strung together... Last week, just out of curiousity, I popped my head into his room and asked "Hey, whatcha talking about, kiddo?" and his reply was "Huh? I wasn't making any noise."

He can repeat your words back verbatim, but has no clue what they mean when questioned on it.

For example "Put on your shoes, A__" and he looks right at you while you say it, but then he walks away... When we ask "What did I just tell you?" he can say "Put on your shoes, A__"... but when we ask what he should do with that instruction he is puzzled and has to think about it before he cheerfully exclaims "I should put on my shoes!!" and promptly does it. So I don't think it's just attitude or not listening.

He often doesn't know if the TV is loud or quiet. He'll be STRAINING to hear it, or covering his ears because it's blaring, but when asked "Why not turn it up/down?" he says he doesn't notice it was quiet/loud. I would chalk it up to lazy or just being a kid, but he will get up to change the lighting or get a blanket and so on. It seems like he has a physical reaction to the volume, but he doesn't have any clue how to affect change to it. Does that even makes sense?

Sometimes when listening to a simple instruction, he cannot carry out the task - like folding a towel "Now bring the bottom up to the top" - and he says "I was listening, but I didn't get it"

He genuinely appears to be listening - he is watching, is being quiet, has attentive body language, and so on, but he just doesn't hear it.

Oh - and I know his hearing was checked two years ago, but I don't know if it's been done since then. I'm going to find out for sure, but I think his hearing is OK because he can hear birds outside that I didn't notice and that kind of thing

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH