SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Need advice for special needs teen...

sweeby
12 years ago

Sorry - this will be long, but I desperately need some good advice, and from past experience, I know this is one of the best possible places to get it. Here's my situation:

My 16 year old son has some special needs. He has been diagnosed with Global Apraxia (definitely true, link below) and PDD-NOS, a mild autism spectrum disorder (maybe?). Based on some mild physical anomalies and learning difficulties, we are fairly certain he also has some sort of genetic syndrome that experts have never been able to name. He has been through the latest and most sophisticated generation of genetic tests, so whatever it is, it's not one of the 4,000 or so 'most common' genetic defects.

Whatever it is he has (and I wish I had a name for it), the upshot is that absolutely everything is harder for our son than it is for typical kids... His physical coordination is impaired. His intellectual abilities are impaired -- below the average range but above the range that would be officially classified as retarded. Even his social skills are impaired, though in a way that makes him overly affectionate and trusting as opposed to aloof. Any typical adult could tell there's 'probably a little something off' with him in just a few minutes.

John knows that he has Apraxia and that some doctors and school administrators think he has autism (his special ed. classification), but he's really only just now trying to understand what it all means and fit it into his self-image, and he's starting to struggle with it. (Frankly, I'm amazed it's taken this long -- Until now, he has been the happiest kid with an unusually healthy level of self-esteem.) Anyway -- Last week, John asked me what it is he has again, and I repeated the 'Apraxia and maybe PDD' answer again. (But I know this isn't the whole story.) And yesterday afternoon, he told my husband that he 'wasn't intelligent' - which broke our hearts. (Of course, Hubby told his that he is intelligent.)

So to my point...

Fact is, we need a better explanation. A simple 'spin' if you will, explain his disabilities in a way that:

- is truthful,

- is understandable at 'gut' level, and perhaps most importantly,

- will allow him to feel good about himself as a person.

The most obvious answer is to focus on what he's good at. There is no one on the planet who is more kind, loving, helpful and hard-working than he is; he's also very good-looking. But in terms of plain raw talent of the type you could build a career on? Honestly, (and this pains me greatly), I can't think of any area where his abilities, even with training, would be above average. So "You're great at ___" is not our best answer.

But he needs and deserves an answer -- a good one.

Can anyone here help me craft one?

For example, my older son has ADHD and dyslexia, but is also highly gifted intellectually. The way I explained it to him was using the cars in a video game. I explained that some cars were easy for new players to drive, but that they weren't the fastest or most powerful cars. Those cars were tricky to drive, but in the hands of a good player, those cars could always win. I told him his brain was like those race cars -- fast and powerful, but tricky to learn to drive. He understood that, and was able to feel good about his differences.

So far, the best I can come up with for John is something along the lines of how brains are like libraries -- information goes in and comes back out. That he's got a lot of information in his library, but just that he has some trouble filing and finding the books again. Or maybe a computer connecting to the Internet over a faster cable or slower one?

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Apraxia - best definition I've seen

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH