SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Disconnected home security unit, is this an issue?

williamsem
11 years ago

So when we bought the house 10 years ago it had a newly installed security system that had monitoring by a local company. We never used the service so we have everything installed but it is not active with the monitoring service.

It now has a low battery in the display unit and is beeping all the time to remind us to get service. But we are not a customer and have never used the service.

I just came home to discover DH has pulled the wire out of the monitoring box, the part where you enter the code and set it. He also unplugged the power supply in the basement. There is a whole big gray box of wires, like a fuze box looking type of thing, that is out of reach and I do not want to open.

The voltage tester I have for outlets doesn't read anything from the one white wire sticking out of the wall where the display used to be. Not sure if that is even a good way to tell if there is any current in it.

We currently have a wire nut on the end secured with electric tape. Is this wire likely to be live or should this suffice safety-wise for a while? I have not had good experience trying to get this monitoring company to even answer basic questions in the past when we have had issues so I doubt they will come uninstall it unless I pay quite a bit.

Comments (8)