SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cstrombe

Romex w/o ground wire? Old dryer circuit question

Chris Stromberger
16 years ago

My parents' dryer became flaky recently. Receptacle was loose, and occasionally dryer would not work. I removed the receptacle and noticed two 12 guage (I think) wires connected, and a very thin bare wire loose in the box. It's a metal box. Upon further inspection, the bare wire was connected to a screw on the outside of the box, but it did not originate in the incoming romex. Tester showed 240v between the two fat wires, and either nothing between either of those and the bare wire, or an occasional flicker of the 120v light if you jiggled the wires correctly. I decided to pull things out to sort everything out. Removed the metal box, and saw that the bare wire was connected to the cable clamp where the romex entered the box, and the other end went down into the wall. Pulled it out (it came right out of the wall) and thought I would trim away some insulation from the old romex and get at the ground wire (figuring it had been snipped) and reconnect the receptacle properly, but there was no bare wire in the "romex" (it's the old cloth-like romex stuff). So it looks like it's just two-wire cable. And my assumption is that the bare wire was just added on and one end was tied to a copper water pipe in the wall, and had worked loose. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption? Was this normal practice in the 50's (when the house was built)?

If that's the situation, I'm wondering now what a safe fix would be.

Comments (7)