SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guitarmaker_gw

'Grounded neutral wire' ?

guitarmaker
16 years ago

I am installing a whirlpool bathtub. The instructions say this, in regard to hooking up the pump/motor:

"The whirlpool should be installed on a 120 vac, 15 amp dedicated circuit. The circuit must be hard wired from the electrical supply panel. The circuit must be a three (3) wire circuit from the electrical supply panel. A grounded neutral wire and a third wire, earth ground, are essential."

I think the terminology is tripping me up. Is this "grounded neutral wire" simply a more accurate way to describe the white wire? The diagram shows three wires, labeled "white," "black" and "GND." The guy at Lowes told me that it meant I needed to add a seperate ground wire from the motor chassis to a cold water pipe, but I'm skeptical, since neither the diagram nor the written instructions say anything about this.

While I have done some simple wiring before, I'm not completely confident here, so I am planning to have a qualified person come to help with the installation next week. I'm just trying to buy the correct cable so I can do the grunt work of snaking the stuff through my walls in advance.

I purchased some 12/2 (three wires, one white, one black and one green for ground). Is this the correct number of wires?

Thanks.

Comments (13)