SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Couple More Questions About Wiring Up My Garage

John Liu
12 years ago

I've started wiring the garage, and have a couple quick (I think) questions. I'd appreciate your advice on what is proper, tidy practice.

- I'll have four duplex outlets on one side and back corner of the garage, on one 20A circuit, and four on the other side and corner on another 20 A circuit. Can I do these in one conduit system? I mean, the three hot/neutral/ground wires for the near wall's circuit runs through the conduit and outlet boxes, connected to receptacles #1 through #4, with #1 being GFCI, and terminates at receptacle #4. The three wires for the far wall's circuit runs through the same conduit and the same outlet boxes, but is only connected to receptacles #5 through #8, with #5 being GFCI. I am using #12 individual conductors in 1/2'' PVC conduit, and the boxes are PVC, all surface mounted, with the conduit running directly from one box to the next, horizontally around the garage at 50'' height.

- If I do that, then should I use a black hot wire for one circuit and a red hot wire for the other? Just to keep things organized?

- I will have a wall switch controlling the ceiling lights, and on a different circuit a ceiling receptacle for the garage door. Is it okay to run the wires for these two circuits in a single conduit to a ceiling junction box, then branch conduit off to each circuit's destination?

- I will have two 240v outlets on the far side of the garage, each on a different circuit. Can I run these circuits in a single conduit system, as I described for the 120v outlets above? Or should I run each circuit in it's own conduit?

- (As you can tell, I'm unsure if it is considered sloppy to bundle multiple circuits in one conduit run. I'd like to do that, for convenience.)

- The 240v outlets are not required to be GFCI, is that correct? Is it recommended to make them GFCI, and if so, what is the best way? (I didn't see any GFCI 240v breakers or outlets at the big orange box.) Oh, one 240v will be for my table saw (rated 9 A at 240v) the other is for some unknown future tool? Maybe a small (hobby type TIG) welder someday. I was going to use #8 conductors in 1'' conduit, to accommodate the possible future welder, which might draw up to 30 A at 240v.

- The ground wire from my ground rods can be . . . #6 bare copper, simply stapled to the garage structure (it has to come up over the garage door to get to the subpanel)? Or does it have to be insulated, or in conduit?

Thanks!

Comments (7)