SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

Couple more basic cabinet and tile questions

muscat
15 years ago

Thanks for the advice and ideas so far. I have a couple more questions:

1. CABINETRY:

I'm very likely to go with a stock 60" vanity; not sure yet about wood type or finish. When I was remodeling the kitchen, I got SO familiar with some of the big brands, good price points, features, etc. Well, I ended up with cabs custom made by my dad, and I have forgotten all the details about brands like Kraftsmade, Thomasville, Prestige, Armstrong, etc. I do remember that with a bit of research I had formed a pretty good idea of pricepoints and value, but I dont remember the details.

I'd like to find a line of cabinetry with solid wood doors and sides, dont care so much if the interior walls are solid wood or compressed wood, well made but not too pricy or fancy. Dovetail drawers are nice, but as long as I can avoid the really nasty glue-and-staple-with-flimsy-bottom-type drawers, I'd be happy. Right now I'm looking at Kraftmade, but I seem to remember finding (for the kitchen) another brand that had similar features for a little less cost.....I wish I kept all my old research! Can anyone save me from doing it all again?

2. TILING:

This one is about your opinion and aesthetics. Here's the room now:

{{gwi:1399520}}

{{gwi:1400214}}

This is going to be a pretty simple facelift on the room, leaving the tub and surround as is (some sort of solid surface material, not tile)

Since I'm not going to tile the tub and surround, would it make more sense to just do a tiled backsplash over the vanity, leaving the walls painted, or tile the lower walls around the toilet/window area? I think it's be kinda nice to tile all the lower areas, do a listelle strip, then paint everything above, making the change at the level of the window ledge. Then part of me thinks that would look out of place if the tub were not tiled. Ideas?

Comments (6)