SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlealexa

Replacing Windows on Old House

littlealexa
17 years ago

Hi all, hope you can help me out or educate me and hubby on the subject. Our house is almost 100 years old and has all of its original wood windows. The 2nd and 3rd floor has the beautiful trim around the window, however PO painted them white. These windows have no storm windows nor screens and are very drafty. The first floor has the beautiful windows with the original wood trim,never painted, (also drafty) however are sealed shut.

DH wants to replace them all, he has been getting various quotes, yesterday we had the salesman type that was gonna replace them all and give us the plastic faux grain on the interior of the windows and the exterior would be clad in aluminum. The truth of the matter, I did not like, his salesman approach, almost forcing DH to sign. I told him I wanted to conserve the intergrity of the house and heard that aluminum casings on the outside isn't good. I have been arguing with hubby over this, why would you replace wood windows with vinyl? I suggested getting a glass company and having them make storm windows and screens.

Any thoughts? I will also be posting this in the Old House forum just so that DH can get some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH