SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktool_gw

Abranet or other aluminum oxide sanding

ktool
18 years ago

I just bought a 6" rotary orbital sander, and want some good heavy duty, long-lasting sanding discs for a variety of jobs (one of which is sanding an unfinished deck to prepare it for finishing, and no I don't want to rent a larger sander for the job).

A friend recommended Abranet pads, saying they last a really long time and allow for superior dust collection (rather than 6 or 8 holes, they are an aluminum oxide mesh, so dust is easily sucked through the entire surface of the disc). Only problem is they are fairly expensive and are only sold in quantities of 50, which is way more than I need (or want to spend), especially if they last so long. I want to get about 4 different grits, and of course they don't sell a variety pack -- I would have to buy 4 packs of 50 each.

So my question is: Will other aluminum oxide sanding discs (6" x 6 hole) last just as long and perform as well as the Abranet (dust collection is not my main concern -- I am looking for longevity of grit), or is Abranet sanding performance really substantially better?

Thanks,

Ktool

Comment