SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

When to stain wood trim/casings/wainscot?

18 years ago

Please help settle an argument regarding when to stain the wood trim for our new bathroom: door & window casings, t&g plank-style beadboard wainscoting w/base and cap rail. Using stain grade pine (I know it's "downscale" but unless someone wants to donate the $1500 extra for oak that's what the budget can manage - and it does suit our very modest Cape), have tested stains already to find a color I'm happy with (mixture of English Chestnut and Cherry stains from Minwax). We will be doing the staining and finishing, our GC/carpenter will be installing.

The combatants:

#1, manager of the local high-end specialty lumberyard that sells _gorgeous_ moldings and skilled craftsman, instructs me to stain the trim parts on all sides before installation, then topcoat after. (Although it was immediately obvious that I couldn't afford to shop there, he was still very generous with his advice.)

#2, our GC, says that "the only way to go" is to install as raw wood and then stain and topcoat. We've had some disagreements already about his "only way to go" notions being somewhat off kilter.

#1 says that the problem with staining after installation is threefold: especially on the t&g wainscot weather-related fluctuations can reveal unstained wood, dirt/moisture (perspiration, for instance) that gets on the raw wood during installation can show up badly after staining, and staining all sides of the wood with oil-based stain offers some protection against the damp bathroom environment. He also agreed with me that it's just more convenient to do that messy job somewhere like a basement or garage than in an 80%-finished bathroom.

#2 says that the problem with staining before installation is that if your cuts aren't absolutely 100% perfect, you have to touch up the stain and anywhere you used wood filler and that looks terrible. That seems like some of what goes on the garden in springtime to me, some stain on a Q-tip is not that difficult to control, and I will be getting him some of that Stain Putty Handy Mac talks about so we won't have to worry about wood filler.

Do I need to put my foot down with GC again? I'm sure he already thinks I'm a pain, but I don't care, I'm the one footing the bill!

Comments (4)