SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Mixing stained wood and painted white trim in home

judydel
14 years ago

Does anyone else have both stained and painted trim in your home?

The original main home that we built in 1988 has stained trim like in the bedroom photo below. The downstairs rooms of our addition have painted trim, mainly because I wanted a white kitchen and also because I love both looks and thought this would be a good opportunity to incorporate both in our home.

The "problem" is that I really love the painted rooms and now my DD wants to paint the trim in her bedroom white (we're remodeling her room). Do you think this is a good idea?? She's going with shabby chic antique painted furniture, pale pale pinks walls, hat boxes, perfume bottle on a vanity, etc. So the white trim would look better!

Here's the breakdown. Upstairs the 4 bedrooms are stained, as well as the exercise room, and bathrooms. Downstairs the dining room (being used as home office), living room, sitting room/guest room and front hall/stairs are also stained.

The new kitchen, mudroom, laundry room and 3/4 bath are painted.

The new stairs off the side entrance are traditional painted and stained with painted beadboard wainscoting. I love this look and really want to do something similar for our front stairs.

Can I do this?? Or am I reducing the resale value of our home (not that I want to sell anytime soon!)? Am I ruining it?

Comments (2)