SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyconfused2

Mixing stained and painted trims

totallyconfused
15 years ago

We are currently in the process of building a house. My original plan had been for all the trim in the house to be stained wood, as it had been in our previous house. However, to pacify my family, who prefered painted trim, I had agreed to have stained wood in the downstairs and on the trim in the upstairs hallway, which is visible from the first floor. The interior trim in all the upstairs rooms would be white. This seemed a fair compromise and everyone was happy. Then the windows arrived. Due to a series of errors, the windows arrived with a factory applied white finish rather than a stainable pine finish. To further compound the problem, the error was not discovered until every last window had been installed. For various reasons, hubby and I have decided not to insist that the builder replace the windows. My problem now, is how do I trim the white windows. I am not willing to give up the stained trim on the first floor. I have been to see a house where they intentionally combined white window sashes with stained window and all other trim. It didn't look nearly as bad as I expected and it is the look hubby seems to prefer. I have also seen pictures where all the trim except the window was stained. The window trim and sashes were painted white. This looked good in the picture, but the picture did not show the white windows together with a door that had the stained trim. My concern is that, in my family room where there are two windows, a slider and then another window pretty much all in a row, the white windows will look out of place when they are in line horizontally with the stained wood on the slider. So, my question is, do I paint the window frames white to match the sashes, or do I stain the window frames to match the rest of the trim? Might there be some white accents that the builder could mix in with the stained trim to try to make this look intential? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Totallyconfused

Comment (1)