SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevens1920

Will 40A service be sufficient for detached garage

stevens1920
9 years ago

Hello all, new to the forum. So here goes my first post.
I have a 1728 sq foot house with 100 amp service and a detached 24x24 garage with 10 ft ceilings and an attic. The garage is 35 ft from the main panel, and I already have the proper schedule 40 pvc run under ground and ready to run a 4 wire setup. Is 40 amp service to the garage sufficient? I want at least one 240v circuit to run a compressor for basic mechanical work and possibly another for a heater (I also have natural gas run). I imagine a garage door opener and three runs of outlets including lighting, with one of them being a 20a 120v limited to 3 or 4 outlets for occasional use of power tools. In my house I have a gas furnace, hot water heater, central air, electric range (switching to gas within a year),and brand new high efficiency washer and dryer (electric 240v on a 30 amp circuit) and two adults, and two college students home for the usual breaks. What do you think? Should I consider 50 or 60? There will be no more expansion or addition to this property and I do not intend to upgrade my main service. Thank you for any input.

Comments (8)