SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jebusfreek666

Determining what service and what panel is needed.

Jebusfreek666
3 years ago

I am in the planning process of a complete remodel of a home. It is a 120+ year old home that I am going to be updating completely. Currently, I believe it has 100 amp service, which will not be sufficient for what I am planning on doing. Also currently, there is no garage which is planned as well. The porch just covered, and has no power which I plan on tearing off and coverting to a 3 seasons porch. And I am planning an addition with a mudroom/laundry room, and additional basement access. I am attempting to keep as many rooms on separate circuits as possible, as I would like to be completely modernized. I would like if there was a problem in the bedroom, I didn't also lose lights in the living room. So to that effect, I am ending up in my calculations with a TON of circuits! This takes into account the idea of separation, as well as having dedicated circuits in all the locations that I think I am required to have them (again, just planning at the moment). Here is what I have come up with for requirements:

Standard outlets:
Living room 20a
Dining room 20a
Master bed (and media closet) 20a
Master bath 20a
Kitchen circuit #1 20a
Kitchen circuit #2 20a
Hallway 20a
Bed east 20a
Bed west 20a
Bathroom 20a
Exterior house 20a

Lights:
Living room 15a
Dining room 15a
Master bed 15a
Master bath & vent 15a
Master Closet 15a
Kitchen 15a
Hallway 15a
Bed east 15a
Bed west 15a
Bathroom & vent 15a
Basement 15a

Dedicated Circuits:
Wall oven 240v 20a
Cooktop 240V 40a
Dishwasher 20a
Garbage disposal 20a
Refrigerator 20a
Range hood 20a
Microwave 20a
Water heater 4x 240v 40a double pole
Furnace 20a
Dryer 240v 30a
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors 15a
Server closet 20a

Planned Additions:
Mudroom:
Lights 15a
Outlets 20a
Enclosed Porch:
Lights (interior and exterior)15a
Outlets 20a
Laundry room:
Lights 15a
Outlets 20a
Garage:
Lights (interior and exterior) 15a
Outlets circuit #1 20a
Outlets circuit #2 20a
Table saw/wood working tools 240v 30A

Total circuits:
16x 15a
23x 20a
4x 240v 40a double pole
1x 240v 40a
2x 240v 30a
1x 240v 20a

If you have made it this far into the post, thank you for your dedication! My questions are as follows:

1. Given the list above, and anything else you can think of that I may have missed, would 200a service be sufficient? If not, would I need to go to 300a, or possibly 2x 200a? I attempted to contact my power company to inquire how large of a service I could go to with my current drop but was told they have no idea what is running to my house.....

2. Are there any particular service panels you would suggest for the above stated needs, or any that should be avoided? Is there a better way to break these up with sub-panels to better organize all these circuits?

3. Is there anything you think I may have missed on the above list?

There is some amount of consolidation that I am willing to do, like combining the master closet and master bedroom lights to one circuit. But since the closet is located on the other side of the master bath, the wiring involved is about the same. As for the dedicated circuit for the range hood, everything I have seen seems to say that I can't tack it on the the 15a light circuit (planned 12 LED can lights), and that I can't tack it on the the 2x 20a small appliance circuits. Dedicated seemed to be the best idea for the spot, and allows for an addition of a microwave to that spot later. As it stands I have factored in for a separate microwave circuit, but I am not sure if it will be needed (might not have one).

Sorry for the long winded post. I am just the type of person who like to plan out every little detail in advance. Thanks to all who got this far, and especially to those who reply!

Comments (17)