SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodrev

Detached garage wiring question not in FAQ section

goodrev
17 years ago

I already have a Square D subpanel in the garage running from the house. It has normal 110 line coming into the panel (70 amp MAX)via underground from the house (conduit) The box itself consists of Main power then 4 breakers. 2 of these breakers are in use, one runs the lights, one runs the outlets, the others go to nothing. This has been here prior to me buying the house 4 yrs ago. HERE IS THE QUESTION::: I just bought a welder Lincoln AC-225 that runs 50amps max on a 220 line which means I need 220 in the garage. The sub panel is about 50 feet max from the breaker box in the house. Conduit already running underground from the original 110 line they ran. Can I use the same subpanel and how would I switch that around to still have the same breakers in it for lights/outlets but be able to have a 220 outlet as well? Hope this all makes sense. I would prefer to use 4 wire (red/black/white/ground) for the project but open to other ideas and would need to have it explained exactly how to use anything other than that. Would I also need to replace the conduit in the ground or could I possibly pull a new line through it somehow? What would a good way but least expensive way be to do this and still be correct and not start a fire or fry myself? I've ran 220 line inside the house for stoves/dryers etc...in the past but never to subpanels and never underground or outdoors at all. Thanks in advance!

Rev

Comments (7)