SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Evil Polyshades to the rescue????

celticmoon
18 years ago

I've read the threads and understand this product is "universally despised". But I think it may be exactly what I need. (Kitchen forum sent me over here)

I have an otherwise perfect very large & bright kitchen, but I loathe the faded orangish color of the oak slab cabinetry doors. Cabinetry is also in mudroom, a whole wall of living room, dining room and both baths - AND the floor plan is open with sightlines of the cabinetry room to room. The cost of a tearout/replacement sickens me - the 90 sq feet of corian then would have to go too (color is discontinued and sections are too big - no one will agree to even try to get the long runs out safely). The cost is obscene just to solve a cosmetic issue.

I've scouted options for years, considered stripping, painting, refacing, etc. And meanwhile upper end kitchen design is just beginning to show more dark slab cabinetry and shiney finishes.

Call me crazy, but a couple coats of dark Bombay Mahogany Polyshades and my old door (from an upper tearout for the stove hood) looks pretty great!! I would leave the other rooms as is because they are less faded and don't have the corian color clash. So....

Yes, I know it is a surface tint, not a proper stain. Like I care, if it works.

Yes, the product gunks into crevices - but my surfaces are flat.

Yes, the color is uneven - but I'm going dark to darker and expecting multiple coats. The main thing is shifting the color tone and quieting the grain pattern.

Yes, the result is shiney - but that is actually a good look in this contemporary kitchen. The grain comes through enough that it is not mirror smooth and allows for dings.

Anything else I should consider? Any better products, like this gel mentioned in a past thread? If this works, we can retire a year earlier on the money we'll save (seriously), and have a drop dead gorgeous, unusual kitchen in the bargain. Yowza.

Comments (31)