SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20219254

Preparing aluminum frames before pocket window replacement instal

User
9 years ago

Hi,

I am looking to replace my old aluminum framed windows with new Andersen 100's. The house was built in the early 80's in austin TX with wood plank siding. I haven't looked under the siding to see if there is some sort of wrap or vapor barrier. I'm curious if I should rip out the frame or leave it intact. I like the idea of getting the most glass area as possible and would consider cutting out the aluminum tracks and preserving the base and nailing flange to ensure best leak prevention. I don't want to remove the siding to add new/more flashing. If you think removing the old frame completely is the way to go do I need to add something to prevent water intrusion or will sealing the pocket window to the existing opening suffice?
Also I was curious if anyone would recommend installing the window from the exterior or interior? The interior is just finished with drywall which could be removed for installation. If I install from the interior I dont believe there are any exterior stops to push the new pocket window up against ( I think the whole thing would be flush if I removed the old aluminum tracks.) Sorry for the lengthy question. Ill try to get some pics soon but may take a few days.

This post was edited by sgreer13 on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 1:28

Comments (24)