SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmgeorgo

Gorell vinyl replacement windows & Pella installer concerns

tmgeorgo
17 years ago

I'm about to replace the windows in my house, and have narrowed down my list of potential contractors to four. The window manufacturers that are being considered are Gorell, Seaway, Pella (Impervias), and Great Lakes. In addition, one of the contractors also offers Alside, a brand I don't know much at all about.

Three contractors are local outfits and have good reputations from what I've heard, the other is the local Pella store. The Gorell brand windows looked like a great option, and the contractor said they only deal with Gorell windows because they think they are the best. I've seen that name mentioned a few times when doing searches on this forum, but there hasn't been any in-depth discussion about the brand and if they are worth the money.

I've only got 6 windows in my house, 5 of which are pretty large (36" x74"), and I'm interested in sliders or casements (house is modern ranch style). Since I don't plan on moving anytime and would like the home to be more comfortable and energy efficient, I'm not looking to short myself just to save a few bucks now. I'd rather spend the money to get exactly the right thing and have a good, worry free set of windows, than cut a few corners and increase my chances of risk. The Gorell windows are 5300 series sliders, with AC master glass option, insulated frames, and a non-white exterior finish. Anyone else like their Gorell windows, or do some of you who install windows have good experiences with the company?

I like James Dulley's newspaper column and he suggested that fiberglass windows are one of the best options, so I decided to check into the Pella Impervias and give them some thought.

My biggest fear with the Pellas are not the windows, but the installers--even though the store I went to was a Pella store, it is not owned by the Pella corporation and the installers for the Pella store aren't Pella employees. I've read most of the previous posts to this forum describing the horror stories where the installers had not installed the windows correctly and the Pella company refused to help the homeowner, and I don't want anything to do with that.

Does anyone have any experiences with the other window brands mentioned?

Comment (1)