SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys235_gw

Recommendations for vinyl replacement windows

marys235
14 years ago

IÂm trying to pick out replacement windows for my house, & take advantage of the tax credit. IÂm replacing the original aluminum windows, and my house is a 30 year old, single story, "Oklahoma prairie style" I think itÂs called. IÂve decided on single hung, vinyl windows without grids, since I think they fit the style of the house best, and the way most of my windows are placed, it would be difficult to clean them from the inside, so I donÂt see the need to pay extra for double hung.

IÂm looking for a reasonably priced window that will be efficient and last.I had decided to use a local company that manufactured their own windows, but found out they changed owners recently, and since January, no longer make their own vinyl windows, and only sell Silverline Traditional windows. I did get an estimate, and they were very reasonable, averaging about $400 each, and meet the energy guidelines for the tax credit.

But, Silverline windows have a terrible reputation on the internet. I did not find much info on the Traditional series, which are supposedly their top of the line (for Silverline, which I thought might make them a good mid-range window), but IÂm worried about the mfr reputation.

Now IÂm at a loss. IÂve done a lot of research, and thought Gorell windows would be good, but they are not sold in my area.

IÂm just looking for recommendations for a good, value-priced vinyl window, any recommendations will be much appreciated. Is it just totally unrealistic to think I could get a decent window in the $400 price range? I don't want junk, but I don't want to pay more than I have to, obviously.

Comments (16)