SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_2_5

Good SD not so good Daddy

mom_of_2.5
15 years ago

How do I motivate husband to parent his own child? I am so in love with my husband he is fantastic in almost every arena besides parenting. Great SD to my kids, has no idea how to be a Dad to his own. I just don't get it. Not only does he have blinders on to the less than desireable behavior his son displays regularly the parts of parenting that should be fairly easy seem a real struggle for him with this child.

So, I am planning a nice dinner, new recipe, I'm at the store gathering ingredients when he sends me a text that SS has an open house at school tonight 6:30-7:30. Am I wrong to be irritated he's not going to be home for dinner because he is going to "make an appearance" at SS's school? It only yanks my chain because If history is a good predictor of the future he will again, for the 5th year in a row fail with any follow ups with the teacher or school so why even bother to go? His son just started 4th grade. I have (next to) begged him to contact the teacher since Kindergarten. Simply to be kept in the loop of how he is doing in school, socially, etc. He has never done this. We know what BM wants us to know. I don't know if its just too much work to shoot the teacher an email once week or if he is just afraid of what he'll be told.

Keeping in touch with the teacher, (I think) is simple. He sruggles with telling him to brush his teeth at night, and very rarely tucks him in or says I love you.

Then there's the behavior, SS chews every meal with his mouth wide open making as much noise as possible. Dad doesn't say a word. SS is really mean to other children calls them names, this weekend he told my son he wants him to die so he can have his *whatever* and later that same day it's "I'm gonna kill you" then chases him. Daddy is oblivious. We are right next to each other and Dad doesn't hear a word. It is like he's tone deaf and can't hear SS's voice.

We recently bought new living room furniture. I have never owned brand new furniture, and the night we set it up I went over some ground rules, no pens, pencils, food etc. Really less then two weeks in our home and it has been written on, in ink. Now, I really want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt but he writes on EVERYTHING! walls, sheets, dresser, my kitchen cabinets. But the ink was discovered an hour after he left for his moms. Weeks have gone by SS hs come and gone and not a word as been said to him. DH actually said to me wow, I'm just glad there's no puncture or rip in it. WTH? Then would you be pissed? We spent a little over a months salary (for me) on this and it didn't make it two weeks.

I want my husband to go to open house. I just don't want him to pretend to take an interest in his son does that make sense? BTW, he is night and day different with my kids, engages in conversations, shows up at their sports games, and parent teacher meetings. I just don't get it! Has anyone out there ever heard of such a thing?

I've recently taken a very hands off aproach. Intentionally to include DH with his son more, for example when my son was upset by the death threats my instant thought is to find him and remind him we DO NOT talk to each other that way! (I'm sure it would be the million and first reminder) Instead I tell my son, I'm really sorry that he is acting that way can you go tell his dad what he said so that he can handle it?

I know I have vented here before about my SS's behavior. Sometimes it is rude, annoying, obnoxious, and sometimes down right mean but whatever his behavior or action, it is only magnified by Dad's response (or lack of). Is it possible to emotionaly disconnect from your child in divorce? DH hates his ex, can this be why he's so unattached and unaware of his son?

Comments (3)