SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ombligo_gw

outlet only dead when something is plugged in... ?????

ombligo
16 years ago

Any suggestions to the following, it has me baffled.

Background - A 120v outlet on our back porch went dead. I tested the outlet and it showed no power, the lines were live though.

First puzzle - there are two electrical lines in the box, each with a positive and negative. I checked them all ; testing (+ & -) from the same line shows them dead. Crossing over and testing a + from one lead and a - from the other lead shows power. It doesn't matter which set, only that it is crossed.

First solution - Okay, I got power, even if it is strange. I replace the outlet, hook everything up and nothing. Recheck the leads and there is power...

Second Solution - I remove one lead from each line and test the outlet - it shows power. I put everything back, plug something in and nothing.... I check the outlet with something plugged in and it shows nothing. I unplug the outlet, test and it shows power. I plug something into the other side of the outlet (the exact one I just tested) - Nothing again.

Second puzzle - I plug anything into the line other than the tester and it goes dead but the tester shows power. (It's just one of those twin leads with a light in the middle). Could there just be a small trickle of power that lights up the tester but not 120V? Yet there is no resister anywhere along the line, how would it drop from 120V?

Before I plug myself into a working outlet, give me some thoughts.

Comments (5)