SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zimzam_gw

55 Volts on neutral.....untill something else is plugged in ?!?

zimzam
15 years ago

Ciao,

Ill start off by saying I am not an electrician but comfortable enough (and hopefully knowledgeable enough) To do service installs which I have done in the past (my one). Now Ill try to make this as clear as I can. I recently remodeled a room and added about 9 receptacles ( thanks to the NEC) and 2 lights with switches. Everything on one circuit (ARC Fault...thanks again NEC) All of the outlets in the room are split. Top half constant, bottom switched. Everything works fine EXCEPT......When I have the switch for the receptacles OFF I read 55-56 volts from Hot to neutral UNTILL I plug soemthing else in on another outlet (switched half) So in otherwords, I have nothing plugged in to any of the switched halves of the receptacle, I read 55 volts hot to neutral. If I plug ANYTHING in (doesn't matter if it is on or not) the voltage drops to 1-3 volts....zero in my mind. If case you guys ask, the tab IS broken on the hot side of receptale and NOT the neutral side....shouldn't matter. All neutrals tied together in switch box. Switch box contains 3 switches. 1 for ceiling light, 1 for ceiling fan and one for receptalces. And ground to neutral, zero-3 volts. ANY IDEAS....driving me insane. Thanks in advance

Comments (11)