SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantcrazy

Replacement Windows - I have a headache...

giantcrazy
13 years ago

I'm looking to replace about a dozen of my 20 year old aluminum windows in my brick two story home in NYC.

I've had one window installer come out and give an estimate, roughly $420 a window to get the Alside Sheffield windows. After doing some searching, it appears these windows aren't the greatest quality.

I'm trying to determine my options here, and have a lot of questions. I'm not sure what the differences between quality and reliability between wood, metal and vinyl replacements, and what the expected lifespan of the windows is.

For example - if I buy vinyl replacements and I'll need new ones in 10 years, then paying double for wood that will last 20 makes sense. If those same vinyl perform better (from a sound and leakage air perspective), maybe not.

So, I'm hoping to learn:

- what's the difference between an equivalent grade (not the cheapest, nor most expensive) wood vs. vinyl vs. aluminum replacement window?

- what is a decent vinyl replacement window that would be better than the Alside Sheffield, within reason from a budget perspective (if it's nicer but costs 3x as much, it's out of the ballpark)

- how long will the replacements I install now last?

Thanks - sorry if the post is confusing, but this really has me stumped. I fully expected the window distributor to try and sell me another window when I questioned the quality of the Alside, instead I got a sales pitch on how wonderful they are.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH