SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianaj4

Help! I'm new

dianaj4
16 years ago

Hi and help! I am new to this forum and from reading so far, I feel like I have finally come to the right place where I can hopefully find support and advice!

My 2 stepkids are wonderful. Their dad is a wonderful father and an amazing husband (married 2 years). We all get along great and I feel that I really lucked out with my situation. It could have been really rough, but I never experienced any of that "you're not my mother!" stuff. I know I'm not and I have never tried to asssert myself as such. I do assert myself as one of the 2 authority figures of our household and they treat me with respect in that manner. Like I said, I'm very lucky.

So what's the problem? The Bio-mom. She makes everyone's life miserable and I'm not just saying that as some sort of jealous 2nd wife lashing. I WISH she were nice and had a good relationship with my husband. It would make life SO much easier! It appears that she is extremely threatened by me and my relationship with the kids. Not to mention that any time she tries to push my husband around (like she did for 15 years) if I step up and support/defend him she goes into a rage and passive-aggressively ends up taking it out on the kids. She doesn't hit them or anything, but very manipulative and puts them in the middle. It's sad.

My 17 year old stepson actually has chosen to live with us full time and he seems much happier in general, though I do still worry about him. He has essentially cut his mother out of his life and no matter how I feel about her, she is still their mother and they need that presence. And I very much worry about the little 12 year old SD. Every other week she is at her mother's house alone - that is, without the support of her brother.

Sorry this is getting so long, I'm just now getting around to the advice I'm looking for. The Bio-mom has stated that my presence is not welcome and that my opinions do not matter when it comes to the kids. Here is a cut&paste from an email she sent my hubby (which he always shares with me):

"She has overstepped her boundaries on countless events such as parent conferences and volunteering in the classroom" [how rotten of me to get involved like that!] "I think their upbringing is primarily their parents decision and responsibility regardless of the parents living arrangements. External participants should be there to support these decisions, NOT make them. I have done a lot of research and have talked to professionals who say the exact same thing  Parents  ultimately  should be the decision makers  not step-parents."

Now, I agree that ultimately decisions are up to the bio parents. But I do and will continue to support my husband, give HIM my 2 cents and help him come to decisions, especially if it affects me like with finances. Our household is a family. That's how famiies work. Right?

She is re-married (to the man she cheated on my husband with) and has stated that he - to paraphrase - keeps out of things, and knows his place "as it should be."

Is that how stepparenting should be? Step back and stay out of it? I can't wrap my head around that philosphy.

Comments (7)