SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelhawkins_gw

Abandoned bluebird nest, please help, I'm new

michaelhawkins
10 years ago

I just joined and am so happy to have a place to go with garden/nature/bird watching questions and discussions. Anyway, every year I have bluebird heartache yet do everything I can think of and read to assure success with these beautiful birds. I had a pair of bbs looking at each of my houses, they finally settled on one and each day the female laid an egg and had begun incubating as far as I know. I went out in my yard one night and coughed near the nestbox and to my surprise she flew out, therefore I believed she had begun incubation. We've had some tough rains in the past few days and I was worried because I have not seen the male nor the female. He usually surfaces when I go out and put mealworms in a nearby mealworm feeder. She usually does as well. But I've not seen either of them in the past three or four days and have checked the nest box for the past two days and there are the four original blue eggs, no sign of mama, no sign of infestation in the nestbox and no signs of trauma. Must I assume that something happened to the female?

Comments (5)