SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy310_gw

Why would a hummingbird abandon her nest?

nancy310
16 years ago

Do hummingbirds abondon fully built nests and if so why?

The middle of March a hummingbird began to build her nest in our back yard tree. Fast forward, this weekend I thought I saw her feeding chicks, but I did not see or hear babies. I assumed she was still working on the nest, but this is a month later.

Yesterday in the eve another hummer was near the nest and agitated by me. The nesting hummingbird took off after the agressor and I have not seen her since. I don't know if I should check the nest for hatchlings, leave it alone or what. Needless to say I am concerned about her after having watched her every move for the last 30 days.

Any input would be greatly apprciated,

Thank you,

Nancy

Comments (46)

• dellwo
    16 years ago

You saw her building a nest then maybe feeding chicks. It's not clear. Did you see her sitting on the nest for a couple weeks brooding? If it's easy you could take a peek in the nest. Mom's typically feed their chicks 3 or 4 times per hour but otherwise are away most of the time.
    She might not have laid eggs yet. Maybe the interloper was a potential father.
    Where are you? What kind of hummer?

• nancy310
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi - Thank you so much for responding. I was finally able to look in the nest from above; thankfully no chicks no eggs. I am in So. California (Santa Monica) and I believe she is an Allen, her colors are muted, what color I can see appears to be the rusty-brown - I saw a male hummer perched on her tree the week before she left; he was more rust than any other obvious color, so I am assuming she is Allen, not Anna. Any other info you can offer would be extremely helpful. I saw another hummer buzzing around the tree early this am.
    Thank you again for all of your help

• Related Discussions

Mamma Bird on Her Nest -Picture

Q

Comments (10)
    sara_in_philly - I read your other post on this forum. After observing this beautiful creature over these past two days, I can see why people are drawn to their beauty. I hope you will get some hummingbirds in your area very soon! I spent some time over at my MIL's home this afternoon and observed this hummer some more. After reading the site about Anna's and Red Throated, I am not sure it is either one of those. I looked for any signs of white on the wings or tail and found none. Her neck and chest is mostly white with a few specks of brown and one larger spot of brown in the middle of her chest. When she stretched up to groom her body, I noticed a very pale orange (rust) color on her body next to her wings. The top of her body is a shiny emerald green. Another hummer came near her and hovered around for several seconds, went away and came back a few more times. He or she had some pale orange/rust on his or her body...a little closer to the base of the tail rather than the actual body. I don't know if this visiting hummer was the same specie or not. This visitor had green on it's back, but did not have any color on it's throat other than white.
    ...See More

Abandon nest

Q

Comments (4)
    That happened to me for the last nesting of the season last year. My female built her second nest, layed two eggs and was never seen again. I left the eggs for 2 weeks but no change. The male would come several times a day checking on the nest and I could hear him singing all day. I finally removed nest and eggs and the male quit checking the box. I could hear him off in the distance singing and singing for a new mate but it was way too late in the nesting season. After several weeks I dind't hear him any more. Renee
    ...See More

abandoned nest

Q

Comments (6)
    Judy, I would observe the box for a couple hours at a time and make sure you know if anyone is showing up. Also, you can place an obstruction like a blade of grass in the hole, and if it's gone you may have activity. Make sure the wind can't also remove it. It's hard to say exactly what happened to the mother. Hawks, owls, pesticides, car accidents, etc. All possibilities. Unless you find a body, you might never know. I've had several parents go disappearing and I know the sad feeling and thought about what may have happened. I've lost several female bluebirds, and just this year, my first couple male bluebirds. It's a tough world they endure. If they're truly abandoned, try to find the number of a local wildlife rehabber and give them a call. You should look into this BEFORE an emergency occurs. Its good that you're feeding, but don't force feed them! ~Tim~ Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebird Widows, Widowers and Orphans
    ...See More

Carolina Wren abandonment of nest with eggs?

Q

Comments (1)
    Because of the time frame, are you sure any that hatched didn't already fledge? I would count the eggs. It could be that none of them hatched, but maybe some did and fledged? If the eggs were fertile, they should have hatched weeks ago.
    ...See More
  • dellwo
    16 years ago

She'll probably be back. My Allen lays eggs 4 or 5 times a year in the same location. She'll sometimes spend a lot of time in the nest but not lay eggs. Good luck, Joe

• jeanette1
    14 years ago

I have a Hummer that nested & laid 2 eggs in a palm tree of our yard. I don't know what kind of Hummer she is~ I live in AZ, the Hummer is mostly gray with green down her back and a short tail. Last night it was very windy, the nest is torn partly away from the palm branch, the eggs are still in it, but we haven't seen our Hummer for almost 3 hours this morning. Do you think she will come back, fix her nest & take care of her two eggs?

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Nancy, if she built the nest in mid-March it was to lay eggs. Hummers are about 40 days from laying to fledging, so your baby hummers may be alive and well and Mom may have moved on or will be back later.

Jeanette, the mothering instinct is strong in hummingbirds in general--unlike the fathering instinct!--so she'll probably be back.

• lionsfan
    14 years ago

I had a robin build most of a nest in a spruce in my yard and then it just left. It probably didn't like my dog vainly chasing it off the ground.

• supernanny007_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

The eggs r still in nest- no sign of mother in 2 days

• Pamnelson8
    9 years ago

I have a hummingbird who abandoned her nest that has two eggs in it. She has been gone 3 days now but the eggs are still there. HELP

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Birds will abandon their nest if there is too much activity around.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Basically, if the hummer has truly abandoned eggs or nestlings, they are doomed.
    You can't feed them what they need.

Reasons for abandoning? Mom got caught by a predator, usually. In my experience, they don't care if you get close to the nest. I've seen successful nests in nursery stock, with people and equipment passing within inches of the nest.

• Kimbro
    8 years ago

I have a nest on our front porch, I am concerned as I usually see the mother a few times a week in the mornings. I noticed the nest and looked inside careful not to touch it or the eggs. I mounted a time lapse camera (GoPro so very small) about 2 -3 feet away from it. Is it possible this scared her off for good? The camera is silent and small, unobtrusive. Could I have scared her off by noticing the nest? It has been 3 - 4 days since I have seen her nor do i see her sitting on her nest at night, unless I just happen to have bad timing. The nest is located in a tree on our front porch in front of windows which get passed by multiple times- would this scare her? What should I do? Please help, I feel terrible and very concerned. Thank you

• dellwo
    8 years ago

I'm sure you did not scare her away. I have scared momma hummers off their eggs or chicks literally 1000s of times (yes, literally). They always come back. Sometimes they do abandon nests. Not knowing the details i can't say for sure. Just leave it alone.

• Kimbro
    8 years ago
    Even if she isn't there at night and I haven't seen her at all- all week? I put a feeder out early yesterday morning and stayed home from work to occasionally go by the Windows/stairs or peek to see if she comes around. She hasn't. Is there anything else I can or should not do? Thank you. I am losing sleep...
  • dtavizon
    7 years ago

I am so sad. I haven't seen the mother for two days. I checked the best and found both babies dead with the eggshells still inside. Can't stop crying

• Chris Truelove
    7 years ago

I also have a nest with two baby's in my front walk way with the mother MIA for at least 2 days...they are not eggs but baby humming birds that appear to be waiting to be feed:(

Any suggestions?

• dtavizon
    7 years ago

Do u know if they just hatched? If they are chirping look on line for local hummingbird rescue. Mine had no feathers

• Kimbro
    7 years ago

My nest disappeared- part of it looked destroyed- maybe a crow took it? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Just a bit of the nest and the shells were on the ground. So sad.

• purslanegarden
    7 years ago

I witnessed a squirrel scaring a dove off her nest to get at the eggs, so it's possible a squirrel would harass a hummingbird, too.

The reality is that these birds take a lot of danger in sitting on their nests for so many days. When we see that a nest of eggs was hatched and the babies fly off after some time of getting food from parents and growing up a bit, that is probably the happy version of the story.

Like others have said, the birds don't abandon their babies so easily, so if they are gone, it's more likely something else triggered it than our careful walking around them or observing them. An example would be that the parent(s) met some untimely death, including something caused by bad nectar water from someone's feeder.

• Yvonne Marberger
    7 years ago

I watched as a humming bird build her nest on a low branch of my apple tree. Everyday I peeked into her nest without touching or disturbing the surroundings. It looked so soft. One day there was an egg! I would see the mama brooding everyday for about a week. We left town on a Friday and returned on Sunday. Naturally, I went to check on the nest and found that the egg was gone! The nest is in perfect condition. What do you think could have happened? I'm so bummed.

• dellwo
    7 years ago

All the times eggs were stolen from my hummingbird it was a crow. They will take chicks too. I finally put netting around the bush to keep crows away.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

I saw a crow flying away from the tree that hummingbirds nornmally go in after visiting my nearby feeders with a small long egg. Could it be hummer's egg ? I didn't see the bummers from that direction any more so could that be they moved away after the crow dis covered their nest and took the egg? I ordered few scarecrow decoys that looklijethe real things. When they come I will hang these cries uo side down to scare the crows. Do you think the other hummers when they come by would ve scared by these fake crows. Thank you

• dellwo
    7 years ago

You wouldn't have seen the egg.

Sorry, the fake crows won't scare any of them. Crows are very smart.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will keep changing the nectar from the feeders 3 times a week. Have to protect these beautiful tiny creatures.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

The hummers come back to the feeders in good numbers but don't see any flying into the tree that I saw the crow came out with a white little long egg ( don't know what but hope Dellwo was right, not hummingbird's egg ) already ordered and received the fake crows yesterday so may as well put them up anyway. Saw 3 hummers came to the feeders as I type this blog. They are so fast and precious.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

You are so right. I have fake crows hanging everywhere ( they look very real ) but the crows didn't seem to scare a bit. However I stopped giving bird seeds to other birds outside of the closure feeder ( for small birds and robins ) to discourage the crows. Hummers come daily to their nectar now. They are adorable.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

The hummers disappeared for 2 days now but lots of big large blue jays flying into trees near the hummer feeders . Could the jays eat all the hummers and destroy their nests. Please give some inputs.. Thank you very much

• Randy Cruz
    7 years ago

I have 2 eggs, mommy hummingbirds has been sitting everyday for the past 2 weeks, now she has not been seen for 2-3 days, are the eggs still viable? WSID?

• knau2011
    7 years ago

Keep changing the nectar and hope for mommy's return. They are very fragile even spoiled nectar or unclean feeders could do them harm but most of all the blue jays and crows are worst enemies.

• knau2011
    7 years ago

Would anyone tell me if they've had so few hummers this year. My wonderful feeders were untouched for days

• Marilyn Jones
    6 years ago

I'm worried about a baby hummingbird. The mother had two now there is one. The one left looks healthy but looks like it's not ready to leave the nest. I haven't seen mom feeding him the last couple of days. And one being gone worries me I do not want the baby to die I have an atrium that is totally protected. So I don't know what to do? Other huming birds birds are flying in the atrium but does not go near the nest. I want the baby to be to be ok is it normal for one baby to leave?

• dellwo
    6 years ago

They often leave days apart. It can be easy to miss the feedings unless you sit and watch for quite a while. Sit nearby and read a book. If no visits then feed it some sugar water and call a rehabber.

• mamsy1
    6 years ago

My baby hummingbirds seem to get eaten every year now. I have oriels and I think a mocking bird that also hang out in my garden. I am just so devastated. The nest looks like it was torn apart. I am close to a wash and we sometimes have squirrels or rats, bummer. Is there any way to tell what is eating the babies or eggs and is there anything I can do to protect the nest once she has babies?

• dellwo
    6 years ago

I had crows eating my chicks and eggs. I surrounded the bush with netting. Stopped the crows and didn't bother the hummers.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZ8FXS/

• leonildak
    6 years ago

Noticed mom hummingbird building nest a about 1 month ago under patio roof, then sitting on it, for lengthy periods of time during the day and at night. Decided she must have laid eggs; in July in Las Vegas! Wouldn't the eggs cook? It seems to me it has been about 3 weeks and was looking for her to begin the feeding routine but have not seen her for the last two days. Checked the nest, there are two eggs in there, but no mama. I'll keep looking and hoping she'll be back soon...

• Debbie Walus
    5 years ago

Both eggs were taken by a cactus wren but mama is still sitting on an empty nest. Any suggestions,? Hate to see her waste her time.

• Chris Ine
    5 years ago

I’m confused. I’m in Las Vegas and the temperature is currently 30 - 40 degrees. I have a hummer that made a nest in the rose tree. Laid 2 eggs sat on there for maybe 3 days not sure if she was there at night..then 4th and 5th day she disappeared on the 6th day she surprisingly came back and sat in the nest faithfully all day. That same day as the sun was setting she disappeared. its 11:30 pm and she still isn’t on the nest. why is she sitting in the nest during the day but not at night and why did she disappear for 2 day straight? Will the eggs still be good?

• HU-205137264
    5 years ago

We had same problem. Two eggs but now seems nest is abandoned. Must have gotten to cold froze eggs in Vegas

• Felisa Richards
    4 years ago

I have a hummingbird nest precariosly balanced but sticking way out of an established ficus pemalia plant that has engulfed my column by my main entrance. I have several feeders and the hummers are always feeding. Recently I watched one buzz me and continuously return to her nest right there. We had a freak cold storm out of Alaska coming with freezing rain and strong winds. I know the nest is too exposed to survive it. I wanted to help protect it a little and I was able to install and umbrella in such a way as to protect the nest without ever having to touch it. Momma hummer was doing her due diligence to ward me off but I was done very quickly and still saw her. She did go back to the nest but when I checked on it later she wasnt there. I was very relieved to be buzzed by her the next morning but I havent seen her sit on the nest and now I havent seen her the rest of the day or evening. I am devestated that in trying to subtly protect the nest that i caused her to abandon it. Especially since she has dealt with my constant in and out of the front door the last two weeks. Will she be back? Did I cause her to leave? Input is greatly appreciated.

• Michelle Berlanga
    2 years ago

I have a nest with 2 eggs and yesterday mama was being harassed and chased away by a male hummingbird, i tried to shoo him away, in fact spent all morning at my window trying to shoo him away, she sat in her nest allowing me to do so, however I couldn’t stand there all day but i periodically checked on her, and she was still being harassed by this bright orange male... later in the evening I noticed she was gone... i keep checking and she has not returned... I’m so worried he chased her off for good?! What do I do if she’s abandoned her eggs??

• HU-649215722
    2 years ago

Help! Mama hummingbird has been sitting on her eggs for 8 days. Her nest is right in my front window under the awning. She only left to feed herself and comes back in less than 2 minutes each time. Her pattern at night time was sitting on her nest most of the night. She would only leave to eat and comes right back. She was sitting on her nest at 11:30 pm. I checked on her again about a half hour later. She was gone and hasn't returned. Something might have gotten her. There are 2 eggs in her nest. What can I do to help them? I know they have to stay warm at around 94°-96°. It's been in the 90's here for 3 days now. I waited about an hour before putting some tiny pieces of felt over the eggs to keep them warm. They are supposed to hatch in 8 more days. I watched everything from the beginning, the mom building her nest, laying her eggs and so on, keeping my distance as to not scare her. She is so tiny and has been so precious to observe. It breaks my heart to see her not returning. Is there anything I can do to save these unborn babies?

• Hunter Buddy
    2 years ago

My prob is that she was feed the baby last one week but since two nights she is not sittsitting on the nest and today we have not seen her at all what to do?

• HU-967705020
    10 months ago

I have a nest in my garage and the mother sat on the nest for 3 weeks or longer. The eggs are still there but she hasn't been back for 2 days

• A A
    last month

What happened to the babies when the mommy bird didn’t come back? Did she finally come back? Did the babies not make it? My mommy bird has been missing all day and the babies are small and left in the nest 🥲

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions