SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocosoul

How to cover a concrete sidewalk with wood.

rocosoul
16 years ago

My idea is to cover the existing concrete sidewalk on my house with wood, this is with a 8x2 boards at 32.5" long, my side walk is 31" wide, so will have a 1.5" cantilever at the end (I will explain why later on), I have the following questions:

1.- What kind of wood do you recommend for this task?, I have some pressure-treated wood (pine) 8"X 2" left over from my previous project (trellis shade shelter), still its only around 20% of the wood needed for this new task, so need to buy more, and honestly would like to use this same wood to keep the typically light green color on my patio, but I am open for suggestions, a potential use of this existing wood, other than the sidewalk board, can be to use it to build a frame (joist), and this is my second question.

2.- Can I just drill in the boards directly to the concrete side walk? or a frame (joist) itÂs required, and what kind of material this should be done (wood or metal structural profile). An issue if a joist are required will be the water been catch inside along with kind of debris, leaves, dust, bugs, etc. making hard to clean, donÂt have too much room as there is only a single 6" step to get into the house and can not exceed this height.

On the other side the issue by drilling the boards directly in the concrete its that I wont have the nice "eco" sound that you hear when walking on a wooden floor.

3.- A gap (1/8 - 1/4") is required/recommended between boards? I know that on a Deck a gap between each course of deck boards. allows water to drain off the deck, but what happen if the boards are to be applied directly to the concrete sidewalk, a potential problem with this gap will be that only gets fill it up with all kind of debris, leaves, dust, bugs, etc. making hard to clean.

4.- If I want to cover the screws heads on my boards what is the best technique to get "wood plugs" out of the same wood.

On the 1.5" cantilever left I will plan to hide a low voltage rope light all the way around my house.

thanks in advance

Comments (4)