SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjmerkin

Help with patio. Cement sidewalk, against house, ground on grade

jjmerkin
7 years ago

I'd like to build a patio behind my house. The back yard is at a considerable grade, which makes outdoor stuff difficult (since we fall over when sitting).

Here're a few pictures of the area: https://imgur.com/a/RlmJg. For the record, this is in Massachusetts where we have lots of seasons (and thus frost heaves). The previous owners neglected the house, both inside and out, so I ripped all the landscaping out (it was ugly before it was neglected, anyway). I kinda let the weeds come in while I was working on other projects. Oops.

I've used the back door as the point of reference in naming the pictures. I would like to build diagonally out from there, so the door is the "bottom left" and diagonal from it is "top right." Note: the bottom right pic is actually around the corner from the back edge of the house. You can see the orange wheelbarrow at the corner I would build to. There's also that nook that I use for garbage bins that I would fill in with some stone.

I think my ideal outcome would be a patio starting at the base of the stairs that runs to about that first corner.

Q: This would run up against the edge of the house. I'm not planning to pour any concrete, so assuming proper drainage, I don't think that should be an issue. Is this misguided and I should leave some open space with small landscaping next to the house?

I really don't want to deal with ripping out concrete or asphalt. I was thinking I could just lay sand over the concrete and set the stones in that (or gravel + sand in places that are currently dirt). However, the cement has shifted slightly, where the cement near the door (bottom left) is lower than near the bottom right (corner near the wheelbarrow), so I'll have to raise the level quite a bit to actually level the surface and grade the patio away from the house and around the side. It'll also mean I'll have to lay another course of bricks on the old-fashioned brick window well.

Q: Is my plan to lay sand over the cement (and gravel + sand where there is dirt/grass) sound, or do I have to rip the cement out to do what I'm intending? Do I have to rip it out anyway because of how it has settled or should I possible have the bottom left portion jacked to be closer to level? Should I just construct the patio up to the edge of the sidewalk?

Q: How can I transition from patio to sidewalk without a short, easy to miss and trip on, level change?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022