SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madrum

daughter vs. stepfaher....I am trapped in the middle

madrum
15 years ago

I have a 16yo daughter and a new husband. They have a hard time with their relationship.

DH and I have been together 6 years..but only married for 2. We have spent time apart in the beginning....but, vowed to work things out before we got married...I thought we had.

Their relationship is rocky at best.

She HATES him. She feels as though nothing she does is good enough in his eyes....he feels that all she ever does is want..want...want. ( I tried telling him that this is typical behavior of a 16yo)

Last night he had been drinking a few beers. She was home well before her curfew.

He made rude comments about the boy that she likes and sent her into a convulsion on tears..crying so hard she couldn't catch her breath. She begged me to let her stay at her best friends house....what was I to do? I let her go.

Only to find him passed out when I came back to bed....

This morning he says he has no memory of that conversation from last night. That he must have blacked out.

After much debate, I told him that I am no longer willing to be in the middle and I will not EVER choose him over my children.

When we got together he knew that I was a package deal. I have 3 amamzing daughters.The younger ones' father is very involved. My oldest daughter however, has no relationship with her bio father.(that in itself is a very long dramatic story)

I have raised my children on my own, in a relationship and now remarried.

I have worked very hard at teaching my children respect, but, if my DH is not willing to give it back (to my 16yo) then how in the world does he expect to get it back?

Because my other 2 are 9 & 10, they LOVE my new husband. Thay have not been exposed to the same situations that my oldest has been with him.

I love my children and I also truly love my husband.

Sometimes I feel as though I have "4" children instead of 3.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am at the end of my rope.

Comments (17)