SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andiand3

New step Mom - Help

andiand3
15 years ago

My 8 year old daughter and I have moved in with my boyfriend who has recentley gotten custody of his 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter. He has been divored over a year from a women he was married to for 9 years who is not the kids Mother. The dad works out of town tempoarly during the week and comes home on the weekends. I am here with the kids during the week. I am not workign right now so i am able to take the kids to appointments, school, etc. this is my problem. The kids have been a bit spoiled , ( never having chores, not having to have to do homework etc) I have to have a clean house nad my daughter has always had to come home and do her homework adn chores before she is able to go out and play. Since moving in she does not have set chores becasue the other kids don't so I just ask her to help me dust etc and that has worked. the 17 year old son is not a problem. When I ask him to clean his room or help me with something he does. however when his Dad asks him to do soemthign he likes to challenge his Dad and try to be the man of the house. My problem is with the 15 year old daughter. She is very much a Dadies girl. If her Dad doesn't like it she doesn't like it. But she also talks back to her Dad and it furiates me adn I have kept my mouth shut as he does not do much. If the son talks back he is all over his case. The daughter leaves her glasses adn food plates all over the house and does not clean up after herself. When I ask her to put up her dishes she just ignores me. When I tell her no tv or internet until she cleanes her room she will act like she is cleaning her room upstairs adn then when asked if it is clean she tells me yes. the next day I check adn it is a mess. Stuff is all crammed under the bed. the clothes I just washed thrown on the floor in the closet. She flat out lies to me. she shares with my daughter and she is very clean. I feel that when there Dad is gone during the week I have no authority with the daughter. She does not listen to me. When I tell her Dad he will call her adn she just blows up an calls me a lier etc. i have even gone as far as takign pictures of her messes to cover my but.

Should I just let the house and the rooms go and let her Dad deal with it when he gets home or????? I feel like if I say anything to her it will cause a big fight and she may leave and go back to live with her Mom. I do not want my boyfriend to stress every time he comes home from the weekend But i am tired of cleaning up after her and her not listening to me. Her Dad and I have just had to put a password on the computer after she was told not to use our computer because she downloads all kinds of stuff and made our computer crash from a virus. She has her own laptop that she will not use. We fixed the computer and she started using it again and we just found and cleaned up another bad virus from her sites she goes to. We take her phone and the internet away but she gets mad and then Dad gives in or she threatens to go to her Mom's. I want to have a friendship with her but it is hard when she flat out lies and does not listen to me at all and manipulates her Father. How do you get the kids to follow rules without making them leave to the other parents house and upseting the entire household.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!