Don't know if I can go on like this anymore
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (128)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Discussions
I don't think that I will go there anymore
Comments (7)Leone....as others have said, continue to visit. I am guessing it's not alzheimers but senile dementia, which can sort of come and go....she can get periods wehre she is better than other times. Turn down the TV while you are there...."so we can talk"....ask her what she had for lunch, nice today isn't it, bring her some candy etc. I am currently a Resident Advocate at a nursing home in town....resident meaning I advocate for the residents, not that I live there. I have a list of residents who I visit at least ocne a month. Last week I met for my first visit with a man whom I have known for about 50 years, but not seen in easily 3 years and not been in a social situation for more than 25 years. I walked into the central room and he locked eyes with me and greeted me and said "What are you doing here"....but no way could he have said my name nor how he knew me. She is aware of your visits, no need to stay long if she's not with it, but just going gives her a root in the real world.....and if you could take her for a ride, that would be wonderful!! Blessings to you for what you do. Linda c...See MoreI Don't Know What I Don't Know About Mini Fridges
Comments (9)Hi Plllog! "That is, I know it's possible, but might not be in your budget." See, there's the crux of it. This little beverage center idea of mine was not in the original budget. (Nor, alas, were new drywall in the livingroom and halls, the gorgeous walnut top on my used cabinet island, the matching gorgeous top that will soon be on the new media cabinet and the near full gut of the bathroom.) And we're still determined to get through remodeling our ugly duckling without taking out a loan or dipping into savings. Conventional wisdom says: Wait until the coffers are full again but that's so hard to do. First off, I'm a cheapskate. Even if the goose who laid the golden egg waddled up onto my deck and built a nest, I'm not sure I would willingly pay someone to mess up the walls I just paid to fix. Second, I'm not quite cheap enough. My new kitchen is starting to look pretty good but, gosh, it would look so much better if the microwave and coffee maker didn't take up so much room on that one counter. I'm willing to spend a little bit more to change that, especially since I'm going to have a piece of countertop leftover that should be just the right size. Still, it's nice to know that it's possible. Maybe when the coffers ARE full again I'll put a tile counter outside on my deck to shade the golden goose should she happen to wander by ;) Thanks for your help!...See MoreLetting things go -- nice things I just don't need anymore.
Comments (54)My husband gave me a beautiful string of pearls with a saphire clasp for christmas last year...guess I'm old lady :) But then my newest piece of jewelry is probably 1950 with most of it being 1880's...so perhaps I"m just an old lady at heart :) I love jewelry with history. Sell it and enjoy the vacation...and know that the person who buys it is probably someone like me who will cherish it as much as the original family member of yours did. As to purging...well frankly, I like stuff :oP I love all the stuff ya'll donate to charity because I haunt the goodwill and habitat store looking for it. I use it daily and it makes me feel good. But that said...I rather enjoy purging too, but perhaps that's linked to the fact that I bought a huge house full of someone elses "stuff". I happily donate items to habitat. I like the tax deduction, and I love the feeling of doing something positive for a charity I support. I also do put things outside with a "free" sign (because I think it's cute how people will take ANYTHING!...no one does that in Alaska) but most of those are children's things (which must be taken during school hours so DS does not see it LOL). That reminds me...I have a slide for free to put out tomorrow when he's napping LOL My one hoarded...hang on, I don't know, thing is my son's cloths and cloths I purchased for a set of twins we lost. I thought we were going to adopt or have another child and now that we've give up on that I have to open the boxes. I have literally dozens of large boxes full of lovely cloths, regular stuff, and brand new things for the babies we expected. I know I have to get to that stuff...it takes up a huge amount of space, both physically and emotionally, but I haven't quite gotten into the zone to be able to do that one. Maybe we should make a pledge...those of us who have some purging to do...I'm peronally going to get through those cloths and give them to someone who needs them within the first quarter of 2011. Jak...maybe you should empty the barn by then LOL Ok that's probably asking too much heh heh...See MoreI don't know where to go from here...
Comments (12)I honestly give you much credit for realizing that at age 19 you are basically a maid and babysitter. Some SMs have been put in that position for years and years before having an epiphany. And, sadly, even now society in general tends to think that is SMs role--to suck it up and take it. No. It is not SMs role to take on the burden of someone else' divorce and take care of their child for them while they are off doing their thang. I always say, two people with children can't live together, get divorced, and the ones to suffer the most wind up being their children and the people they go on to remarry (or get involved with). Step-parenting only works if you have the support of the bios--both your DH and bio-mom. I also always say, manipulative, controlling BM and weak, enabling DH = step hell. But, you already have an advantage in realizing this at age 19. Others above have given good advice. Just remember, you DON'T have to suck it up and take it....See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEYou Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
DINING ROOMSBenches: Not Just for Picnics Anymore
Add Character and Clean Lines with a Stylish Bench at the Table
Full Story
PETS5 Finishes Pets and Kids Can’t Destroy — and 5 to Avoid
Save your sanity and your decorating budget by choosing materials and surfaces that can stand up to abuse
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNYes, You Can Go Bold With Wallpaper in a Powder Room
The smallest room in the house can make the biggest design impact. Here are 10 of our favorite papered powder rooms
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 19 Kitchen Upgrades for When You Can't Afford an Overhaul
Modernize an outdated kitchen with these accents and accessories until you get the renovation of your dreams
Full Story
COLORHow Merlot Can You Go? 8 Enticing Ways With Wine-Inspired Hues
Add warmth and drama to your home with these deepest shades of red
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNHow Low Can Hedges Go? Discover Unusual Garden Borders
Short enough to step over, high enough to be a stretch ... check out these radically different hedge styles and tell us your opinion
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths


aidalyn